Those that need to see a Therapist / and those that don`t is there a correlation of the two ?

by smiddy3 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Humphry
    Humphry

Also when one finds a good therapist that really gets down deep into our real nature a transference happens and ones analysis becomes a god and sometimes some good old fashion sex happens but hey then and then they might not, any who...when you share your deeper inner most feelings with someone you form a pretty strong bond, kind of like guru worship by his devotees. Sit at the masters feet if you will and that is something I can do without at the moment but if I met a real nice therapist I might reconsider.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/learning-play/201001/transference

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    there are many ex JW`s on here that haven`t ever felt the need to see a therapist ,and I`m just wondering why not ?

No great mystery.

This is true in life outside of JW's, this is true of life inside JW's.
    And just because someone doesn't "feel the need," it doesn't mean they should not see a therapist. I work with a bunch of people that deny that their problems with life are getting to them. A bunch of people in my family deny that they have any weaknesses or problems that they would like to share with a therapist.

But even short of that, maybe some just haven't had it bad enough that they cannot find the help they need without professional help.

If Joe and Geena Publisher leave the organization together, having no living parents in the JW organization and no kids being shunned by family, they might not carry a heavy load that they cannot console each other with.

If Jenny leaves and her husband doesn't, or her mother shuns her, or her own adult children limit her contact with her grandchildren who are being raised in that cult, I think you know she might need a little help with the burden put upon her by others trying to tell her the problem is with her and not with them.

As some mentioned, some gave their all- hopes, dreams, goals, their entire way of thinking over to the Watchtower. Others may have casually been JW's, because it really wasn't for them but they were born into it. When they leave, the first group might have more reason to need counsel.
  • iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow
    we need to find meaning off what these years mean and that is the natural drive towards wholeness in later life

Yes, at the moment easier said than done :) Right not my meaning is wrapped up in my kids. I got them out just in time so no real damage was done, and I enjoy being with them. Outside of that, struggling for any passion or motivation for anything. Life is a rebuild :)

• ThinkerBelle
    ThinkerBelle

I think there are a lot of emotional and environmental factors that would contribute to whether someone would see a therapist or can work it out on their own.

For me personally, I was a born-in, elders kid. I could recite the dogma mostly and defend it if needed, but I never "took it to heart". As I woke, I didn't have the emotions or withdrawal that many do experience; I just started living for me instead of the organization. My best friend who faded had a much harder time and did talk to a counselor; there was a stronger emotional attachment to the org than I ever had. Technically, I'm still PIMO for family (SO is not one though) until I can fade out. I consider myself a diest at this point.

The hardest part for me was not feeling guilt during holidays/birthdays. It's not the guilt associated with the celebration, but that being PIMO means I have to be careful, so I would avoid certain things with my kids that were more public or always scanning a store before buying supplies/decor. I think that will fade with time, so no therapist needed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit