Those that need to see a Therapist / and those that don`t is there a correlation of the two ?

by smiddy3 23 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

There have been a number of threads / posts here over the years about ex JW`s needing to see therapists for what they are going through , and I can appreciate that.

Obviously there are many ex JW`s on here that haven`t ever felt the need to see a therapist ,and I`m just wondering why not ?

Why does one feel the need and another does not ?

Is it to do with born ins as against those who were converts ? Or is there some other factor that one see`s the need where another one doesn`t.?

In my own case I was a convert at twenty years of age, so my formative years were not influenced by WT teachings ,I grew up in the world so to speak and was very much a part of it .

Whereas someone who is born into the religion is indoctrinated from the earliest part of their life and surely that must affect them and their growing up in the world ,certainly different from my growing up in the world.

Don`t get me wrong when I became a believer I took it hook line and sinker nobody believed it more than I did and I`m ashamed to say it now but I would have let my sons die rather than give consent to a blood transfusion , that`s how much I believed in the JW. religion.

I have been out of the JW`s now for about 26 years and been here for about 12 -14 years this site and others but I have never felt the need for a therapist ,I don`t have a problem with coming to terms with leaving the religion or doctrines or beliefs or anything. I just come here because I spent 32 years of my life as a JW and if I can Anti-witness so be it .

And on the other hand their are people who do see / feel the need for therapists to get them through this life.

I hope I have been articulate enough with the Topic Title etc. ,and would appreciate your comments

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

smiddy3 for me a born-in and my wife who was a convert was a big help in getting rid of my cult thinking. Also this site was a great help in seeing others who were going though what I was feeling. Between the two it was my salvation for leaving the cult. I went through therapy serveral years earlier before I left. It was the thing that help me wake-up. I feel everyone is different in their emotional makeup and some need more help than others. Whatever direction one takes it is all good if you are able to escape the cult. Take care and what a great topic. Still Totally ADD

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

nope--never needed that sort of help. but then i never believed in god and all that crap anyway.

• blondie
    blondie

I find some ex-jws have more than the WTS crap to deal with. Many have long-standing internal family problems that they hoped the WTS would solve. Now they want to learn how to deal with that (even non-jws have these issues) and build a new life on a better foundation.

Sometimes the only person a fading or out jw can talk to is a therapist without fear of repercussions.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

A lot of older people like yourself don't want to see a therapist smiddy. Stiff upper lip and all that. I've spoken to three counsellors since leaving the cult because it's not good to bottle things up and I needed someone neutral to talk to, simple as that.

When my husband died my parents in law refused therapy. They just carried on the way they always have, her with her OCD, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Him with his depression alternating with narcissism. Yeah, they were fine, they didn't need any silly talking therapy.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    • nope--never needed that sort of help. but then I never believed in god
      and all that crap anyway.

Stan that's actually very helpful because I've always suspected many JWs don't believe in God. If you really don't have any faith to be torn apart by discovering you've been raised in a cult then why would you need help?

• zeb
    zeb

the wt has agreed in its abuse policy that jw can seek professional help if they wish..

but id sr goodlooks is going to a shrink ti can be guaranteed that she will be watched.... shit I hate the damn cult!

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

I would love to have a definitive answer to this question.

Since exiting the organization I've been able to gather together a half dozen+ ex-JW elders. We meet for lunch fairly regularly and I'm convinced there is a very different healing path between those born into the JW bubble and those who later in life converted to the JW bubble after having had real world life training.

Another anomaly is the difference between born ins who leave and converts who leave and whether or not they remain believers vs. athiest/agnostic.

Fascinating really.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

what about those like me--not born in--but mother got religion when i was about 9 years old.. so i wasnt a convert of my own chosing.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think some people may benefit from some professional psychiatric help in removing the high controlling mental processes deeply indoctrinated by the WTS. and for that individual to eventually start thinking on their own.

New knowledge is needed to remove the fear induced ignorance indoctrinated by the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit