Witness memory

by Descender 22 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Simply speaking to some jws seems like an ethical dilemma on interfering with a pre-warp civilisation. Come again? BTW...it's nice to see you print in black instead of red......it was too boring ( no offense ) Gumby

• kat_newmas
    kat_newmas

I am very sleepy... but what I think I am reading here... is that JWs dont believe dinos existed....are you serious?... I have been away since I was young.... had no Idea, I mean, we dig up bones left and right... maybe a little incorrect about how we stick them together... but they are carbon dated.

I mean what did they think a six foot tall hip bone went to anyway?

I knew the six thousand years thing, but I thought at least in the name of FACT... they would at least make something up, to cover their butts when scientists actually dig up one...

ok.. I re read brummie again... kitty caught my eye... I thought so... that is a little more like them

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

As in star trek where they don't feel they have the right to interfere with people's ignorance and influence their culture that way - the 'prime directive'.

• Azalo
    Azalo

I have tons of memories like that. I cant remember specific conversations but I remember how my family and other JWs would see something on TV about evolution or some other scientific FACT that goes against JW teaching and they would all laugh at how dumb and naive worldly people were. Ironic huh!

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

kat_nevmas, RunningMan and others; the "each creation day is 7,000 years old" - teaching has been left years ago. It WAS there, by all means, but for example the latest issue of the "All Scripture Is Inspired And Beneficial" gives "In the beginning" in stead of ""42,046 B.C." or whatever it was, as the starting point of Genesis. You will read in articles and hear in talks that each of the days were "many thousands" years old, and others say millions. They haven't left the old teachings 100 %, otherwise they would not have said "thousands" but "millions", but anyway, please don't lump them/us up with Young Earthers.

• Princess
    Princess

The dinosaur topic always bothered me. They were able to use carbon dating and it just didn't work with the WTS teachings.

There is a picture in one of the books, Live Forever or older (can't remember the names anymore). The picture is of the flood and shows a dinosaur in the water and I think a wooley mammoth on high ground with people crying around them. Comical.

Rachel

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I grew up with each creative day being 7,000 years but I thought that was altered after 1975, since that was one of the justifications for 1975 being the end. I always understood it to be that the creative days didn't start until AFTER the universe, sun, earth, et al. were created. I don't really recall the Society ever giving a definitive answer to where (and when) dinosaurs came to be.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

In the 50`s and 60`s WBTS taught a day for god was a thousand years..Thats where your friend got that information..Now a day for god is 7,000 years?..This is first time I heard that one..I`ve been out awhile,but I remember what I was taught as a dub kid..They must have needed NewLight after WBTS cancelled armagedon in 1975..LOL!...OUTLAW

• Azalo
    Azalo

I dont remember ever hearing about the 7000 year rule in the 80's and 90's. I always heard the 1 for 1000 rule.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I remember the idea of creation days being 7,000 years long. Just vaguely, though -- chronology was never my thing. However, if you're still talking to the conspiracy-minded idiot, I've got a 7-year-old who can run circles around him about dinosaurs. He won't know what hit him.

Nina (of the Triceratops class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit