Witness memory

by Descender 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Descender
    Descender

Have any of you had a similar occurrence when you were a witness as this? I was 18 years old and had taken a trip with my witness buddies to New York. One of them had been drafted into Bethel and we decided to go along to tour the place and visit New York and Patterson. I was a good witness boy back then and I thought that all witnesses thought pretty much the same thing. I had grown up believing the earth had been here for billions of years and that dinosaurs were real creatures that one time roamed the earth. That’s what my mother had taught me.

Anyway, us witness boys decided to tour New York City and one of the places we went is the museum of natural history. I was busy reading one of the displays for one of the dinosaurs when I heard one of my witness friends beside me laughing. I asked him what was so funny, and he said: "this is ridiculous, they actually think this thing existed 30 million years ago." And I said, "well, how old do you think it is?" He said, " IF this thing actually did exist, then it can’t be any older than 6,000 years old because the earth wasn’t around before that, and it’s most likely just a conspiracy that scientist put together, they just make this stuff up." Hmmm, I’d never heard that before, but I didn’t argue with him, although I thought it was one of the stupidest comments I’d ever heard. Is this a witness teaching that I didn’t ever hear about through my 20 or so years being associated with the witnesses, or did he just come up with this on his own?

• sandy
    sandy

This is a witness teaching that the earth is only about 6,000 years old. I'm sure someone else will fill you in on all the details, I don't remember them.

Where have you been kid?

Don't feel bad, I didn't know that unless a girl screams for help before she is about to be raped then she has comitted fornication. Then she is DF'd.

I guess we were sleeping during those talks and studies. LOL

• Gig
    Gig

Your friend didn't learn very well from the people who still haven't learned. Yes the WTS limits the age of creation but your friend is thinking only of Adam's assumed age. It's such nonsense it's not worth explaining any further. The fact that the WTS has an answer for everything already indicates how stupid they are, the only thing they have exactly right is that there does exist false religion...wait, no...their teachings on that are wrong too - they think that means everybody else but them. Yes, they believe there is a God, but the Bible says "Good! Even the demons believe that."

• Brummie
    Brummie

Descender, the Society doesnt teach that the earth is 6000 years old, not unless its changed in the last couple of years. They are ambigious about the age of the earth but say its definately older than 6000, maybe 42000 yrs or something, I heard one brother say each creative day could have possibly been 7000 yrs long.

However, Dinosaurs (according to WT) could have only exsisted within the last 6000 yrs and were probably wiped out made extinct by the flood.

Brummie

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

According to JW science, each creative day is 7000 years long. Since animals were created on days 5 and 6, and we are now 6000 years into day 7, then animals cannot be any older than 20,000. Land animals cannot be older than 13000 years.

In recent years, the society has stopped mentioning this, and has referred to creative days as of "indeterminate" length.

Being a Witness is like living in an intellectual twilight zone. You can learn more accurate history from an episode of The Flintstones.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Descender. WELCOME to the board.

IF this thing actually did exist, then it can’t be any older than 6,000 years old because the earth wasn’t around before that, and it’s most likely just a conspiracy that scientist put together, they just make this stuff

I think you friend had his head in his WBTS ass. Obviously he wasn't paying attention in school. I used to be such a staunch supporter of the creationist theory when I was in school, but I would never argue the existance of Dinosaurs. How can you argue with fossil records ? Maybe satan planted then there ? Jeeeeesh

Basing your perspectives and outlooks on what the bible suggests is flawed anyways.

It's time to wash all that jw mentality out the window, and start looking at things as they really are. The WBTS has always scoffed at " men of science and theologians "

Good Luck.....and welcome to your brain.

xjw_b12

" I just want to know the truth, because I've been lied to ALL my life "

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

RunningMan wrote:

Being a Witness is like living in an intellectual twilight zone. You can learn more accurate history from an episode of The Flintstones.

LOL. You gota love that.

JamesT

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

"Flintstones, meet the Flintstones, they're the modern stone age family....."

Now I am craving a Brontosaurus Burger....

• gumby
    gumby

He said, " IF this thing actually did exist, then it can’t be any older than 6,000 years old because the earth wasn’t around before that,

Brummie was correct.

What I want to know is how is it that so many others of you do not even know Watchtower doctrine? Most of you thought they teach the earth is 6000 years old.

Is this why dubs think Apostates are making stuff up? I can see why.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Simply speaking to some jws seems like an ethical dilemma on interfering with a pre-warp civilisation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit