The Environmental Cult

by cofty 32 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Everyone knows there is a need for transportation - everyone except those in the environmentalist cult recognises this.

There are people who are willing to use an autistic 16 year old young woman to claim that the world will end in a few years and we shouldn't take foreign holidays, we should walk or cycle rather than use private cars.

It may not be asking for a return to the stone age but these people are asking us to make some kind of regression.

Cofty is right - strong anti-capitalist sentiment and the environmental cause go hand in hand.

The only people who'll make cars cleaner and greener are the engineers who work within the capitalist car manufacturers (BMW, Ford, etc.). Greta Thunberg won't do sh1t, sorry to say.

• LV101
    LV101

Yes re/"Environmental Cult" and it's stressful/discouraging to many who just want/need to take in factual info w/out the political agenda. The scientists and climatologists seem to be at odds -- before I get blasted - I realize majority support climate change view. The cult side isn't going to consider any other views/facts. Hope I didn't go out of boundaries here. I'm not negative re/climate change -- there has to be an adverse effect.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Since you say climate change is real, what do you propose we do about it?

• LV101
    LV101

Maybe another topic started about "do about it?" and whether it's real?

• Simon
    Simon

It's cult like because they often favour feelings over facts and cherry pick who they consider an expert on a subject (hint, it's people who agree with them).

• cofty
    cofty

I'm surprised Greta can't walk across the Atlantic.

SBF - what we should not do about climate change is to indulge in fear- mongering and moralising.

It needs only facts and clear-headed decision making that balances environment with prosperity.

It has been hijacked by ideologues.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree moralising is no use.

However, panic might be an appropriate response, depending on how serious the situation is. (The metaphor some have used: if your house is burning down you respond with immediate action, you don’t say let’s sit down and review fire safety)

It is difficult for me to judge how serious climate change is, since I don’t know or understand all the relevant information—and I suspect I could not understand it all, even if I wanted to. It’s so complicated that probably no one person does, even individual experts. We rely on a complex network of experts to produce a coherent account of the scale of the problem.

Like many people, I have growing suspicion that it is a huge problem and it may be too late to fix. But who knows for sure.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I am skeptical on the human portion. What caused the large changes in times past? Some of the solutions will harm society; and if you want to see environmental damage, just look at any large scale social upheaval.

Things like carbon credits just transfer money to those who can afford it.

Cant give away my location, but pollution follows wind across state lines, so maybe all states east of California should sue them for having large population and forest fires. Ozone going up because of smoke from california will not be solved by restricting autos in Santa fe

• cofty
    cofty
    panic might be an appropriate response, depending on how serious the situation is .. I have growing suspicion that it is a huge problem and it may be too late to fix - SBF

So no point in panicking then.

Moralising is precisely the problem that I am talking about in the OP. Environmentalism is the new secular religion and already has many of the hallmarks of a cult.

• cofty
    cofty
    I am skeptical on the human portion. What caused the large changes in times past? - road to nowhere

I think the problem is that natural forces that drive climate change are being pushed higher than ever before by the additional factor of human activity.

If environmentalists would just admit this simple fact it would be a great start to communicating the actual problem.

But the reality of climate change is NOT the topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit