The Environmental Cult

by cofty 32 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

I believe the environmental movement has many of the hallmarks of an apocalyptic Millenarian cult.

Urgent predictions of doom and fear-mongering

Utopian ideology

Us v them, good v evil mindset

Guilt and self-flagellation

A child messiah

Unquestioning dogma

Ironically the environmental movement is fundamentally anti-capitalist and yet an increasing number of major companies are dishonestly using 'green' issues to sell their products.

Disclaimer - I do believe climate change is a reality and that human activity is a significant factor.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Some Vegan movements are similar. One lot invaded a Slaughter House and tried to free the animals. Their energies would be better directed toward the major Companies that are far from Green.

On Climate Change, I do wish people would only base their statements on solid Science, or idiots get on Social media, pull apart what has been said, and leave the impression we are not in Deep Do Do with Climate change.

And of course, the major Companies with vested interests are pleased to see the issue obfuscated.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP, Cofty.

I think environmentalists are a bit like a doomsday cult - 'we only have 12 years to save the planet!' ... where have I heard that before?

I also believe the environmentalist cult are taking advantage of and using a 16 year old Swedish girl who is on the autistic spectrum (Greta Thunberg).

I certainly think human activity is harming the environment and we need to be cleaner and greener. I don't know if we are facing a climate crisis. The climate has changed over hundreds of millions of years of Earth's history. An honest, open debate is needed.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

As for an inconvenient truth...well. I get the impression that was indeed doomsday nay saying.

I do agree that we can do more for the environment. Not to the extent of damaging property or generally being a leftist loony.

I tend to side with Ben Shapiro....which is controversial in many people's view.

I think there are those that use it to virtue signal more than genuinely care.

So now we have paper straws. Okay. I just hope this isn't the latest fad of virtue signalling hypocrites.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/07/06/global-warming-double-what-models-predict-study/760748002/?utm_source=bnm&utm_medium=sem&utm_campaign=DSAnews&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv8it1Iyj5AIVgv_jBx3G3wZpEAAYASAAEgIJDfD_BwE

Humans either default to denial or panic. The human species will survive but the all the predictive modeling insist that life is going to get harder for most of us. Expect billions of people dislocated, widespread crop failures and severe weather. Many species will be lost. The resulting political unrest will be as bad or worse than the physical changes. I would assume an explosion of apocalyptic religions. Unless some massive international effort to capture and sequester GHG takes place soon the next 100 years are going to be harsh, that's not speculative.The saddest part is that it wasn't unforeseeable and unpreventable. But humans aren't good at proactive planning. I'm hopeful that once it's convincingly argued that it is cheaper to do sequestration than deal with extreme weather it will become a booming industry.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Ironically the environmental movement is fundamentally anti-capitalist

I think you mean fundamentally anti-consumerism. There is a distinction. Capitalism can be conducted responsibly, although it is difficult without some accountability. Competition and entrepreneurship are good for everyone.

Consumerism is a social and economic order that encourages the acquisition of goods and services in ever-increasing amounts.

That is not compatible with good stewardship of resources.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Thank you Peacefulpete for offering real facts instead of a 'Loony Liberals' dismissal.

We can talk about the many historic changes to earth's environment over many thousand or even millions of years.

But back then we didn't have to factor in eight plus billions of people and all the trash and toxic air that they generate and send into the atmosphere.

Reality is the only factor we need to discuss........... is the problem getting worse or not?

• cofty
    cofty

Please don't let this thread deteriorate into a debate about whether climate change is real.

Read the OP please.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

One problem with the environmental cult is that they want us to not travel by plane or private cars. What they're calling for is REGRESSION. They want us to mostly walk everywhere and not take foreign holidays.

The Swedes have a word for this, flygskam - literally 'flight-shame'. Within this cult, a vulnerable teenager can sail across the Atlantic in a carbon-neutral sailing vessel (although those who'll be sailing it back are flying out to the US!) and lecture everyone on her beliefs. If anyone dares gainsay her, they're called haters because this young girl is autistic. That's how this cult works. It actually doesn't want any questioning or debate (again, where have I heard that before?)

Out in the real world, people don't have this privilege of being allowed on fancy sailboats. They work hard most the year to pay the bills, and want to spent 2 or 3 weeks somewhere sunny. I don't think they care about the plane's carbon emissions as it takes them to Spain or Greece or whatever.

I don't travel abroad and I mostly walk everywhere. But that's because I'm poor. The environmentalist cult wants everyone to be like me.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

One problem with the environmental cult is that they want us to not travel by plane or private cars....What they're calling for is REGRESSION.

I have to respond to that. Everyone knows there is a need for transportation. There have been talking heads on the right insisting there is some return to stone age living inherent in seeking better solutions. What has really been suggested is the wider adoption of new technology and sustainable mass transport where it is feasible and at least the use of alternative fuels where not. IOW what is being proposed is new technology, new opportunity for industry and greater efficiency, not a regressive return to horse and buggy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit