Who is considered more bizarre?

by incognito2014 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• incognito2014
    incognito2014

JWs or Mormons.
    From a public point of view not from people within the religion as that would be obvious.

Examples of extreme beliefs or behaviour would be useful.

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

The JWs have a more mainstream view of religion with some very strange variances. The Mormons are way out there with their magic PJs and if you do as you are supposed to you get your own world to be god over, Magic hats and gold plates and many more things that are Bat crap cray. That said a man made of mud who was deceived by a woman made of the rib of the mud man who was in turn deceived by a talking snake to eat from a tree that dispenses knowledge is bat crap crazy all by itself but we are used that nonsense.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I've said this before, but I've long viewed the LDS as the WTS's nicer but weirder older cousin.

BTW... Protestantism is the WTS's slightly out-of-touch but generally well-meaning mom...

...Catholicism is the WTS's old alcoholic uncle who's finally working his way through his 12 steps...

...and Scientology is the WTS's crazy-ass, mean-as-fuck neighbor from down the street.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Jesus and Jehovah appeared to a guy called Joseph Smith who gave him the golden plates, which Joseph later translated with a Magic hat and god then took back the golden plates and Joseph revealed the ultimate truth that Jesus visited the Americas sometime after his resurrection and that the Book of Mormon is a supplement to the Bible. And Mormons would baptize the dead and wear holy under wears.....

That is more super Fun than the JW beleifs

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've long thought that Mormons have some weird beliefs, but they are much better members of the community than JW's. They go to school, work hard and generate more tax revenue. I think the JW's are a net negative on that score, in that they are lower income, so lower taxes; and they have no problem with using all the government money they can get their hands on. Mormons vote and hold office, I know some won't like that, but it connects them to the community.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I live in a Mormon community where they train missionaries. Yes, they do believe they will be gods. The problem I've had with those I've met is they aren't waiting to act like gods.

• just fine
    just fine

Wasanelder - that has been my experience as well. Being the chosen ones of god sure does come with a lot of ego /s

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Witnesses dont vote, military, go to college. The mormon friends I had in school didnt stand out as odd. Jws did.

The more bizarre things aren't flaunted, underwear and such. I have more offers of help ( real) from Mormons, than from my supposed congregation, and I am in

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

INCOGNITO2014:

Both are weird, but I consider Mormons more desirable than Jehovah’s Witnesses. I agree with ROAD TO NOWHERE above.

At least Mormons believe in higher education and careers. Contrast that with the Witnesses who push poverty and people who end up dependent on the system. There are Witnesses who don’t have basic life skills and are painfully ignorant.

There may be exceptions to the rule in congregations with people who weren’t born-in and came in with job/education like I did. Multi-generation born-ins are the worst off in many cases.

The tragedy is when Witnesses reach retirement age totally unprepared. They have been told there is no need (and are criticized if they DO prepare). They are led to believe Armageddon will come in time to save them and they should be in their ministry and not bother their pretty heads about annoying things like earning a living.

• TD
    TD

Depends on how well you know the two groups. Mormons appear more mainstream from a distance, but they are every bit as odd as the JWs

The belief in ancient American civilizations rivaling Greece or Rome at the height of their power is a good example.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit