Elizabeth Smart found alive.

by JeffT 39 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

I think it would behoove us all to retain a healthy level of skepticism, but to likewise not think the complete worst of a situation we know VERY little about.

And from her own BEDROOM?!? How does that work?!

Amazingly, children have been known to be kidnapped directly from their bedrooms by total strangers. Little Polly Klaas was abducted in this manner, her two friends spending the night were tied up, threatened, and ordered to keep quiet, and the man left with Polly, subsequently raping and killing her. The police focused heavily on Polly's father Mark initially, and the delay cost them precious time in which Polly could have been found alive. I do understand that the odds weigh heavily in the favor against stranger abduction, but it can't be ignored that there are a whole lot of whackos out there and they do very bad things.
    Having said that, I can't help but feel there is more to this story than we now know. Is it possible the girl went with this guy voluntarily? And what kind of hold did he have on her all these months? In other words, I wonder if she went through an experience similar to Patty Hearst and perhaps became emotionally tied with this creep.

Interestingly, I thought the same thing at first. I wondered if she might have gone willingly with the man. She was 14, after all. This was not an 8 year old girl, and it isn't beyond the scope of imagination that she might have been complicit in her disappearance. I told my husband last night that I hoped she hadn't gone willingly--to cause such pain to her parents and wreak such havoc on the whole world would be really awful. He brought me right down to earth when he asked how on earth it would be better that she was kidnapped against her will, raped and tortured? I pointed out that it surprised me that a 14-15 year old girl wouldn't find at least one opportunity to run away screaming toward the nearest person. He then pointed that kidnappers exert very serious hold on their victims, and grown adults have been known to come to identify with their captors. In any event, no matter the details surrounding her disappearance, I'm am so thrilled for her family (and her!) that she has come home. I can't imagine anything worse than losing a child under any circumstances.

She was reared in a beautiful home, educated, and from all the pictures I've seen of her, appears to be a very innocent human being.

I'm sorry, but present situation notwithstanding, this is a silly thing to say. A beautiful house, education and a lovely appearance guarantee nothing. How many hundreds of horrible events have we seen reported that end with something along the lines of "It's so hard to believe, he/she was such a nice person from such a good family." Please.

And as a side note, I had a very hard time listening to everyone crying out "God has answered our prayers!" Does that mean that in each case where a child did NOT come home, God just wasn't around? I'm sure that makes me a horrible cynic, but forgive me. Faith and I have been arm-wrestling a lot in the last year or two, and it seems I'm winning. It's too bad. I want to believe...

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I agree with Xander and Sara Annie on this. I think there's more to this story that will eventually come out.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I think you all you nay-sayers suck. Did you ever stop to think that he probabl threatened to kill her entire family if she didn't comply no different than a child that is molested IN THE HOME and to scared to tell because of the same type of threats. I am so damn sick of the victims and the victims famlies ending up to walk the fire that the perpetrator should be walking why no ? about that MF***** huh, why no hey why didn't his ex-wife tell more about her fears? huh What about Polly Klaas huh same type of circumstances. Would you be so F*****willing to voice your opinion if the this one had turned up with a dead little girl. This is what's wrong with the world so willing to question and condemn the victim that the perpetrators actions is second to the event as I said YOU SUCK

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

PS The latests is the abductor had a knife and that he did cut the screen and he had been watching her for sometime before he took her.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I am watching FOX News and the family spokesman (the dad's brother) is saying she was brain-washed....she was seen in various tapes that now surfaced, veiled and walking around with the nut job and his woman. They were preaching to homeless people.

If she were "brain-washed" ala Patty H., it is totally different. Who knows, maybe she did not like being Mormon and thought what he was offering was better (which would explain why she did not run; plus they were poor and homeless, so no TV).

The family saying the "prayers brought her home" are really annoying. I do not believe it was prayers. It was her little sister who said maybe it was the handyman who they used in the fall of 2001....the little sister pointed out the similarity of the nut job handyman and the abductor.

I am sick of seeing all the news coverage. They need to simply release statements to the media. No more film coverage. Let the poor girl get some help and therapy.

• Mulan
    Mulan

On the news this morning, they said she was in the hills behind the family home sometime in August, and heard people calling her name, and her captor held a knife to her throat to be sure she didn't cry out.

They also said he took her for a wife. Gross. I hope that is rumor.

• Shakita
    Shakita

It is great that Elizabeth has come home to her family. Years of counseling are in order hopefully.

Ed Smart is always praising God for bringing her home, for listening to all the prayers from all the people, grateful to God for protecting her....that it is a miracle from God..........I just don't get it. Where was God when she was being abducted in the first place?........was he just letting the play unfold.....waiting for that perfect moment to rescue poor Elizabeth? Sorry, I just don't see the logic here in giving God the praise for this turn of events.

Mrs. Shakita

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Ed's brother has been on a media blitz....he seems to be getting off on being in front of the camera.

He said "God...." so many times I lost track and changed the channel.

Shakita, that is the most annoying thing. I think he was doing it as a media blitz for the LDS also....he can cry about god and how he brought her home. Maybe they can get more people interested in the LDS by repeating over and over that god listened to their prayers.

Just like the dubs....you worry about your family and next thing you know you are Mormon...looking for something better.

I just hope they get the poor girl some outside/objective therapy.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Shakita:

I don't get that either my little nephew that was born two weeks ago has a pulmonary artery problem and needs open heart surgery. My cousin is in a coma from peretonitus but my family is the same way, I don't get the after the affect God I wish he would intervene before it happened ya know

• Shakita
    Shakita

Sheila:

So sorry about your families health problems. I hope that everything works out for them both.

Isn't it funny how God picks and chooses who he deems worthy to receive a miracle or not? How come Elizabeth was saved, when others are not? Seems like a cruel and heartless game God is playing with his children.

Mrs. Shakita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit