I need your help in trying to wrap my head around this strange experience I had today talking with a JW lady sitting at a literature table in a busy outdoor shopping center.
I'm a very shy person, but I always wanted to ask these JWs at their literature stands questions to start them thinking about the validity of Watchtower teaching. I finally mustered my strength today to talk to this JW lady. Well, the strange thing is that she outright denied everthing a JW is known to do. Being a shy person, I didn't want to seem confrontational, but I still asked her questions on the failed predictions the WTS made about the coming of Armageddon, the change on the WTS stance on blood tranfusions, the annihilation of those who don't join the WTS, etc.
She flat out denied everything that the WTS did and taught! Here is what she said to answer my questions:
- 1914 failed prophecy didn't happen. All Russel did was just say something significant happened.
- 1975 failed prophecy didn't happen. It was not the Watchtower's fault that JWs believed Armageddon was coming and sold their homes, so they ended up paying for their own mistakes.
- All her children went to college. JWs as a whole don't condemn higher education. It's up to the individual JW to decide whether to pursue higher ed or not.
- JWs are free to read anything they want and research is encouraged since they are taught to be like the Bereans.
- The events transpiring at and after Armageddon, like what's going to be destroyed, what's not going to be destroyed, the logistics of handling the resurrection of dead people onto the new earth, are just theories, so can't stump her on the details of WTS teaching on the new earth.
Basically, after the last point, I'm like what?!? This must be one liberal JW they chose to sit at that literature stand! But of course, I knew she was outright lying about everything. Perhaps she was just trying to gloss over the details to avoid the discomfort of the fact that her doomsday cult teaches horrible fate for those who don't become a Watchtower slave.
Can you guys shed some light of this type of behavior? Is it common for JWs to outright lie like this? Please help me understand this odd behavior!