Talked to a JW at a literature stand today

by nevermind 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

But she sent her kids to college and still gets to be qualified to witness at a literature stand? This is big time double standard right there!

I'd bet her hubby is not a JW and the kids' excuse for college is, "Daddy made us do it".

• zophar
    zophar

1914 failed prophecy didn't happen. All Russel did was just say something significant happened

It might have been interesting to see what she would say if you asked her: "if you read in your own literature that Russell did predict the end of the world in 1914, would his wrong prediction or false prophecy cause you to re-think your position?"

• EyesOpenHeartBroken
    EyesOpenHeartBroken

You may as well have been talking to my long time pioneer mother. Asking her these questions, she will give these exact justifications. She is really good at filtering and shoving square pegs into round holes by knocking off the sharp corners. And by the way, she is very intelligent. I find that it is more emotionally driven than cognitive.

The problem is that because the GB and org has gained their complete trust and allegiance, they don't actually stop and think about contradictions they read or experience. Only when the cognitive dissonance becomes unbearable emotionally, will a JW start to question the org.

Presenting facts really has little effect on most JWs.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Welcome, Nevermind - good on you for asking questions that need to be asked!

Looks to me like when confronted by incredulous info seekers, the JW refuse to take the fall-out for the WT. Because the questions make it all sound so ridiculous, they squirm around trying to make you think YOU are the one who is just not understanding the policy, instead of manning up and admitting "Yup, that's, right, that dumb policy is what we believe, allright!"

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The remark about 1975..If they ran ahead was anyone DF??? That's a no -no in JW world...I can not recall not one single person DF for knocking on folks doors and telling them, you won't be here next year.....

• cha ching
    cha ching

I know it's weird, but here is what happened in my life.

I was raised a JW, and was about 20 in 1975. I knew "the end was near".... as told at all conventions, (yes, I remember them asking "How long was Eve alive before she sinned? could it have been one year? six months? and throw out all kinds of possibilities) but I also read the Bible, and the Bible said, "No man knows the day or the hour." and I trusted the Bible more than men, so when I heard of people leaving the organization in 76, I didn't know why. I really did not realize that other congregations had talks, parts on the meetings, countdowns, "stay alive till 75", etc.

I kept waiting for the "Sodom and Gomorrah effect" where men will be marrying men, women will marry women..... The sexual revolution had just begun, but it was not a common thing that everyone accepted in those days.

Also, even tho I knew no one knew the day or the hour, we went to see Star Wars in 1977?ish? and we love it! Afterwards, as we (a group of JWs)all left the great adventure we had just experienced said, "we hope the end does not come before 1981, as we want to see the next film!"

As far as 1914 goes, as to what Russell said in the 1874 ish time, I really didn't know at all that he had said one thing, and changed it to another until almost five years ago or so.

In "the old days" say the 70's - 80's, people were definitely discouraged from college, but were not DF'd or shunned, or lost privileges in my area, and I think that is another factor. In some areas, things were more relaxed, in other cities/ countries/ congregations, they weren't .

Now that I look back and hear what all others have experienced, I cannot believe I did not catch the clues. WT has everyone on such a fast spinning hamster wheel of duties (meetings, service, cleaning K Halls, conventions, reading magazines, building K Halls and assembly halls) that people just do not have the time to investigate. It is easier NOW, with the much better/ faster computers and internet than it was when you would have to go to a paper library, or pull WT bound volumes off the shelf.

When I went to work at a High School, in maybe 2011, we were reading the history of that time period, regarding the League of Nations and United Nations, and I learned that there was quite a bit of PUBLIC information regarding them All the mystery of "uuuuuuhhhh Brother Knorr figured this out" or whoever it was.... It was not true. It was public information that had been twisted to make the WT Society/ GB look as if they had "holy spirit".

*** kc chap. 17 p. 166 par. 10 The King Fights at Armageddon ***
    10 What composite “beast” has appeared in these “last days,” and what has been its performance on the world stage? At an international convention of Jehovah’s Witnesses in 1942, the public talk entitled “Peace—Can It Last?” called attention to the prophecy at Revelation 17:7, 8. The speaker, Watch Tower president N. H. Knorr, identified “the wild beast that . . . was” as the League of Nations—brought forth in 1920. But now, in that wartime year of 1942, he stated: “The League is in effect in a state of suspended animation, and needs to be revived if it is ever to live again. It has gone into the abyss of inaction and ineffectiveness. It ‘is not.’” President Knorr went on to show that “the wild beast that . . . was, but is not, . . . is about to ascend out of the abyss, and it is to go off into destruction.” True to the Bible prophecy, that “beast” was revived in 1945 as the United Nations.

So, in conclusion, nevermind, I would say that I may just have been such a naive witness, that may have not really believed what you had told me, at least from my experiences.

• blondie
    blondie

That's correct, the UN was formed in January of 1942 months before the international convention and in the news. I was doing research on the UN site to prove that when I stumbled over the WTS status as an NGO.

• blondie
    blondie

I'd bet her hubby is not a JW and the kids' excuse for college is, "Daddy made us do it".

A common excuse used around here, a university town.

or

They are auxiliary (regular) pioneering while they go to school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit