Post A Message To The Troops

by DakotaRed 60 Replies latest jw friends

• kat_newmas
    kat_newmas

nuff said... sorry... I am an artist.... prone to fits of irrationality. forgive me...

my hands have stopped shaking.....

It is forgotten.

My name is Timmy... nice to meet you.... hope you dont die. Thats about the extent of my political agenda.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    hope you dont die. Thats about the extent of my political agenda.

That's a pretty good one if you ask me.

• berten
    berten

Replying to several others,

HillBilly wrote:

>Bruce and Berten

>I will gently disagree with your swill and gladly liberate your respective countries again ( I >hope to God not in my lifetime) if need be.

The US "liberated" Europe because they where afraid of losing it to the communists
    which to them was a far worse thing than fascism.Hitler wanted too much,if he stayed
    in his Germany,the US would have gladly done business with him.
    History repeats again with Saddam.

> Tax dollars or in the flesh- whatever the powers
    >that be would ask of me is OK.

Does this actually need any comment?
    Amazing and saddening,nuff said...
    *Did* you really leave the WTS?
    Or have you just replaced it with another cult?

>...Finally I am NOT an "America -Right or Wrong" kinda guy but your attitudes about >volunteer military personel "deserving" to be in the situation we are in now sickens me.

They don't "deserve" to be in their situation,
    fact is:They *don't have to BE there*
    Now is that so hard to comprehend?

>So with due respect- Get Bent!

With due respect,grow a brain,and use it
    instead of getting abused by your
    so-called leaders and superiors...

SheilaM wrote:
    >...He has been told this is an honor and how DARE you.

What did you expect they would tell him then?

>...These BOYS are being told something at a very
    >impressionable age they are shown movies that show how their choice can save lives.

And what are they being told at a very impressionable age?
    Just propaganda,it's just the same as years ago in other wars.
    And history just repeats itself...

Dakotared wrote:
    >Berten, do you even realize that there has been no draft since 1973?

Just wanted to be sure that everyone was volunteering or not...

>No draft equals what, volunteering?

Seeing how some practically *Jump" at the opportunity to fight a war and
    follow orders like a well oiled warmachine,draft is not really necessary anymore.
    Very saddening indeed...

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    Seeing how some practically *Jump" at the opportunity to fight a war and
    follow orders like a well oiled warmachine,draft is not really necessary anymore.
    Very saddening indeed...

So, conscripted or volunteer, they are just braindead fools in your estimation? You sound like one of the spitters that welcomed me and my buddies back from Vietnam.

Sadly, you and your cronies just may get your way. When the terrorists gain more control and your freedoms are gone, who will you whine to then? Those that "follow orders like a well oiled warmachine," just may tell you to go jump in a lake, given your view of them today. Why should they protect those who hold them in distain?

• berten
    berten

DakotaRed wrote:

>So, conscripted or volunteer, they are just braindead fools in your estimation?

Don't lump the two groups together,I understand the situation of those *forced* to go to war,those who are conscripted.

It's the volunteers I have some reservations about,*these* should think twice.

>You sound like one of the spitters that welcomed me and my buddies back from Vietnam.

Do I ? Well I'm sorry to see you lump me and them on the same heap.

>Sadly, you and your cronies just may get your way.

Thanks for the compliment,when running out of arguments just use insults.

Same tactics as usual...

>When the terrorists...

Snipped the rest of your boring rant...

• Realist
    Realist

dakota,

i do not support the troops! soory!

• Realist
    Realist

berten,

great posts!

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Dakota,

I read your post but didn't have a chance to respond yesterday, was planning on doing it today.

I support our troops...period. They are not the dictators of action in this war, they are just doing their job. The politicians and movers and shakers are the ones who decide where we fight, those boys and men and girls and women who go...are going with good intentions, to serve their country and protect it.

I LIVE in the USA but I am not naive enough to think I understand or am given access to EVERYTHING the political leaders are given to base their decisions on. I do NOT believe everything I see or hear in the news. I am not a member of the CIA, or FBI or any other organization. I know full well there is information that is NOT released....and disinformation that IS spread.

So having said all that, I find it interesting that people who do not even LIVE here can see so clearly what is going on in this country. That your sources of news and information must be SO superior to ours that you are able to cut through the propaganda and BS politicians around the world sometimes feed us, and aim your sharp powers of comprehension at world news and IMMEDIATELY weed out what is true and fact. Especially when these events are taking place half a world away from you. That is an amazing feat.

When I have your super powers I too will be able to make such definite statements about what is going on in the world. Until then, all I can work with is what I see around me....trust that some of the facts I think I have are accurate...and do the best I can with the knowledge I have available to me. That's it.

Tracy

• Realist
    Realist

think41self,

having lived in the Us i can tell you that the US mass media is as trashy as it gets. it either feeds you with irrelevant nonsense such as "crazy man hits woman with a brick" or it spews propaganda generated by the influencial circles. there are newspapers worth reading such as the NY times...but how many people read those? less than 10%.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Dakota,

I read this yesterday, and was going to respond, but didn't have time, because I have a job, that was the FIRST time I read it, so get off your high horse, because you didn't even have a good argument to counter, Col. Mike Turner, Norman Schwarzkopf's personal briefing officer during Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I hope the Troops don't encounter his worst case scenerio, and I hope they come home safely.

Think41self,

Here is the transcript to an NPR interview with Col. Mike Turner, Norman, considering he was Norman Schwarzkopf's personal briefing officer during Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, I would consider him an expert on the subject, not these pro-war blow hards that are on this board.

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/transcripts/2003/mar/030311.turner.html

Commentary: Possible Worst-Case Scenarios If War With Iraq Occurs

Morning Edition: March 11, 2003

Commentary: War

BOB EDWARDS, host:

Retired Colonel Mike Turner was General Norman Schwarzkopf's personal briefing officer during Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm. As part of MORNING EDITION's ongoing series of commentaries on a possible war in Iraq, he outlines a worst-case scenario for a US-led invasion.

General MIKE TURNER:

There's a saying in military circles: We always fight the last war. It means that too much focus on past enemy behavior can easily lead to misjudging an enemy capability in the future. So I asked myself today which war will this be: Desert Storm or Somalia? In 1991, we had four ironclad prerequisites for war with Iraq: a clear political end state, overwhelming force to achieve a quick and decisive victory, a viable Arab coalition to avoid empowering Arab extremists, and absolutely no Israeli involvement to avoid a global holy war.

In Somalia, we ignored the most critical of these lessons. Mission creep turned our original objective of humanitarian aid into simply `Get Aidid,' the Somali factional leader we were battling. We committed US troops to a high-risk military operation in an urban area with extraordinarily dangerous variables in play on the battlefield, and with insufficient firepower thanks to then Secretary of Defense Les Aspin.

Now we've firmly committed ourselves to war with Iraq, and our political objective? To get Saddam. The uniformed Joint Staff in the Pentagon strongly opposed this plan early on. It requires an attack with a force half that of Desert Storm against an entrenched urban enemy renowned for its ruthlessness in defending its own survival. The uniformed Joint Staff was overridden, yet in so many horrifying ways this operation resembles Somalia, not Desert Storm, only with nerve gas and biological weapons. And without Turkey as a base to launch a northern assault, a dual-pronged attack will be all but impossible.

Perhaps we can pull this off, but here's a far worse scenario that's at least as likely. Within hours of our attack, Saddam launches Scuds on Israel. Israel's right-wing government launches a full-scale attack on Iraq, creating a holy war nightmare. Saddam, threatened with his own survival, uses chemical and biological weapons and human shields just as he has in the past. He torches his own oil fields, thousands of his own people are killed. Photos of American soldiers amid landscapes of Iraqi civilian bodies blanket the world press which aligns unanimously against the US. The US is condemned by NATO and the UN.

The war ends within a few weeks, but the crisis deepens. The US is left to administer a political vacuum in Iraq. Iran is emboldened to help the Shiites in the south. Disease breaks out, food and water are contaminated and the cost of the war skyrockets. The US economy is dealt a body blow, but the administration can find no credible way out. Britain's Prime Minister Blair is voted out of office.

Meanwhile, al-Qaeda, seeing an opportunity due to a shift in US focus, attacks a major US target. North Korea, emboldened by the distraction, ignores diplomatic efforts to restrain its development of nuclear weapons and begins to export weapons-grade plutonium to terrorists.

These are not remote possibilities, but in my view reasonable, possibly even likely outcomes. Thousands of American sons and daughters are about to go to war with Iraq. They will do their duty. They are, without exception, the finest, bravest people I know. May God bless them. I hope their destination is Baghdad and not Mogadishu.

EDWARDS: The comments of Mike Turner, a retired colonel and former policy planner for the Joint Chiefs of Staff on the Mideast and east Africa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit