Do You Have A Negative Outlook Because You Were Once A JW?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

It could be argued that exjws have issues in life simply because they were Jehovah’s Witnesses at a point in their lives.

Do you think you or we are fairly normal considering we were Jehovah’s Witnesses or do you think we have a lot of baggage because we are a bit messed up ( even if we don’t even know it)?

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

My answer to the OP question = Yep

Just when I have moments of..."freedom, the world is beautiful, im healthy, my marriage is better than ever, kids are healthy, whole family are critical thinkers now, more income than ever, zero debt, enjoying vacations like never before, #bestlifeever, ect...." then BANG!!!....in floats the "oh shit, I just gave the WT the middle finger and killed my family and am the scum Jesus said to never eat with, and am the worst reproach to Jehovah's name, and on and on."

I'm convinced that: born in JW's who spent DECADES being the best JWs they could be are inevitably F'ed up for a lengthy period of time if not a lifetime. Like the ORG is just embedded into the mitochondira of our DNA. Lord if only there was a pill I could take and make everything JW go away in my mind.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Excuse me for disagreeing with Solzhenitsin. When I was out , I just totally started making my path clear of all the debri, so nothing would hinder me. i feel very light n happier. Never do I think negative coz I know that atleast now I am out,there is always positive ahead of me. I never have felt guilt or sadness perhasp coz of personality n bringing up .I know what I want n after much thought I go for it/ or not.Whatever I chose to do I do not regret it coz it si based on informed decisions.

Sorry I started to write too much n too long .

Zing

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I don't think I have a negative outlook but I am a bit less trusting. I always had the nagging feeling, throughout my life, that something just wasn't right with WT and it's followers. Now, when I get that nagging feeling, I look into why I feel the way I do.

• minimus
    minimus

When I tell someone I was raised a JW and was even an elder, they always say how they are shocked because I don’t look like the stereotype.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

"You can find ants at any picnic if you look hard enough"

As an ex JW there often remains the bad habit of being on the look out for the bad or for evidence that things are getting worse and to be waiting for the next shoe to drop even though it never does. This habit can be overcome once one is aware that they have it.

• cofty
    cofty
    As an ex JW there often remains the bad habit of being on the look out for the bad or for evidence that things are getting worse

A feeling of angst is the sine qua non of all committed JWs.

The question is whether that is created by the cult or does it just exploit people who already have that personality type?

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Honestly - Yes - I think I do.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I try not to, but each time I am watching a happy time, such as my grandchildren opening Christmas gifts, I’m hit with a pang of what could have been. Same thing when my daughter was growing up, I raised her completely free of cult influence, I so enjoyed watching her enjoy her birthday parties, Christmas, Halloween, etc..still, there is always that wave of sadness for the life I could have had.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Sometimes I am negative and depressed. But I am always working on it. I have been looking into "My Big Toe" the theory of everything. Using Quantum physics. By Thomas Campbell.

I am understanding that very possibly I chose my parents and I chose my false religion as a learning experience as something to rise above.

So when I find myself negative because of my JW experience, I reflect on this information and start to make sense of my life and become a player.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit