Does Anyone Still Believe in God?

by LaurenM 447 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

If something can't be proven or disproven - like aliens and UFOs - since they don't affect the planet in any real way, I would rather not bother wasting my time contemplating the issue. If evidence is made available, obviously I'll adjust my thinking - indeed.

Just imagine all the fresh data this forum's stauncher atheists could collect and hypotheses they could answer if they didn't spend so much time rabbiting about God!

It boggles the mind ...

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Stuffwotifink:

I respect you openly answering the question with intellectual honesty.

I hope I never come across as "trying to prove a point" as I feel I have nothing to prove to anyone. I partake in debates which contain subject matter which either interests me, could affect me or the planet, to have my say against statements which I regard as being unfair, misleading or cause harm. If what the person is saying comes of as self indulgent bullshit, I trash-can it. To me you come across as an intellectual which demands I pay attention to your views, regardless of whether or not I disagree or that would be intellectually dishonest of me.
    I'm the sort of person who claims to be an idiot not out of false modesty, but because If I percieve myself as a dry sponge I'll be more eager to absorb information, and wring out what I think doesn't apply or is nonsense. There is so much learning to do in life I get frustrated at the lack of time to learn the never ending ocean of knowledge available. At the moment I'm trying to read five books at the same time and I also don't merely read - I enjoy cross referencing and further questioning what I'm learning so even one book can take months for me to get through. For this same reason I have no time for fictitious nonsense in my life and add to that how for me reality is far more interesting.
  • stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    I'm no intellectual, my education is poor. But I've spent a little time in the study of philosophy.
    All I kept popping up for was to ask some atheists to calm down their claims. As I said, I believe in no gods myself.

It's okay to say you simply lack a belief, but one must then avoid making claims like: "Your god is just make-believe", this is a claim of the falsity of the god.

[Like I said though - your justification for disbelief would cover that claim too. You believe the proposition to be a falsehood due to a lack of evidence where we would expect to see it. No need to claim weak atheism, strong atheism is easily defended. As one might expect from a position with as much support from the evidence as atheism has.]

Anyways, I'll shush, thanks for responding with something other than an empty and undemonstrated claim that I'm stupid.
    Here is the same guy from before explaining the burden of justification. (The interview is an hour long, but he gets to the question at the very begining)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_AOhUb3RJc
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    All I kept popping up for was to ask some atheists to calm down their claims

Well, the problem is that you've neither the right nor authority to do that. Well, that and I don't want to.

• stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    Well, the problem is that you've neither the right nor authority to do that.
    lolz
    If authority is needed when asking people on an online forum to support their claims about reality, where exactly are you getting yours from, pumpkin?
    You're funny.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    stuffwotifink
    There is plenty of evidence showing that the Abrahamic god Yahweh is make-believe.

Read: A History of God - The 4,000 Year old Quest of Judaism, Christianity & Islam.

• stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    cappytan

I don't know how much of the thread you've read, but I have never been speaking about the god of classical monotheistic theology. Not once and I've stated so repeatedly.

If you didn't see that, no worries.
    (I agree that the most reasonable position to hold in regards to Yahweh, is that He is a complete fiction. A position I'm happy to justify, if asked.)

• cappytan
    cappytan

Here's what you said:

It's okay to say you simply lack a belief, but one must then avoid making claims like: "Your god is just make-believe", this is a claim of the falsity of the god.

So, when talking about the Abrahamic God "El" (who has been combined with the Canaanite God Yahweh), there is evidence that he is make-believe. I was just responding to that comment you made about avoiding making claims like that. Claims like that CAN be made once the theist defines which God they're referring to.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I have never been speaking about the god of classical monotheistic theology...

Why use the word 'God' as all? What can you claim about this.... idea? Is it he? She? It? Them? A series of never ending responsible parties? The monolith from 2001? what is 'God'????

The minute you say 'God' you have attached the idea of a personality solely responsible and above everything.

You call what you do not understand 'God' instead of just, unknown. Or undiscovered yet, because every discovery you reveal, god is not there.

You see the grand canyon and you say god must have carved this, then you find out no, it was water, well what is water made of, and you keep going and going and you find no 'God' just more elements making up reality, not a person.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

I do not understand God. My current opinion is that he is...... A monster.

SL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit