Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christians. It's impossible.

by DATA-DOG 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Good morning. I was just checking out the forum and something occured to me. JWs simply cannot be Christians. That's not really news to any of us here, but I just noticed things from a new angle.

I was reading here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6474886369247232/talking-jesus

Then I read this: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/243099/jehovahs-witnesses-view-jesus-compared-early-church?page=1&size=20#/.U90v_PldWRJ

That got me thinking about JW dogma. For the vast majority of Dubs, Christianity is denied. Why? In Cofty's post, he explains how early Christians were slaves of Jesus, blessed each other in the name of Jesus, were killed for witnessing about Jesus, and how they "belonged" to Jesus.

What would a Dub say if you asked, " Do you belong to Jesus.?"

They would give you some line about how Jesus died and how they recognize his role in Jehovah's purpose. If you pressed them and said, " Yes, yes, but do YOU BELONG to Jesus?", what would they say? Hmmmm...?

An Elder or a studious Dub might say, "Jesus said that he had "other sheep" so yes, I belong to Jesus.", with a satisfied grin. Alas, that is incorrect!

The "great crowd" are those who survive the "great tribulation", according to the WTBTS. The "great crowd" does not yet exist, because the "great tribulation" has not occurred. Therefore, no "great crowd" of a secondary flock exists.

Baptized, non-anointed/non-partaking JWs are merely "prospective members" of a future "great crowd" of a secondary flock. They certainly aren't saved" in any way. They can't be, not until they make it through the future tribulation, whenever that is.

So they aren't even members of the "great crowd" yet! How can they belong to Jesus? At best, they have the chance of being in the "great crowd", with the prospect of perhaps living through the 1,000 year reign and earning the right to finally be accepted as an earthly son or daughter of Jehovah.

So if the New Testament isn't really for the rank and file JW, and they don't belong to Jesus and aren't even in the "great crowd", how are they Christians? They seem like poor sycophants, or prospective fraternity members enduring a hazing, just for the chance to be a member.

As for the leadership, lying in court, using propaganda, refusing to accept blame for false teachings, excommunicating those who disagree with their ideas, that hardly seems Christian either.

Just thinking out loud. Gotta go. I've got to visit family and listen to their delusional ramblings about how awesome Warwick and the GB are. 😑

DD

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Yep you nailed and when I figured this out for myself a couple of years ago I got really mad.. The fact is based on the teachings of the borg their all just Jonadabs unable to gain salvation so they must hang on to the coat tails of the seven real Christians to get into the kingdom of god. This is exactly what the Catholics teach about them and the Pope. The borg is a mini Catholic religion copy.
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I think the term "Christian" is so ambiguous that really anybody can claim to be a Christian and it will mean something completely different from another person of another religion claiming to be a Christian.

Also, it is a little like claiming to be the one and only "true" religion. Many religions make this claim, and they all look at each other and say "No, you're not. We are." They do the same with the claim of the being Christian. They all look at each other and say, "We're the REAL Christians!"

Personally, I think they're all full of shit.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    DD prospective fraternity members enduring a hazing, just for the chance to be a member.

Never a truer word written!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP, DD, although I think I disagree with you.

JWs profess a belief in Jesus Christ and so are Christians, IMO. The WT is an extremist group a bit like the Westboro Church, so the nasty cult-like bits are elevated above the nice traditional bits.

I agree with Wild Thing's comment - "Christian" is so ambiguous that many groups claim it. And this is what we find - Anglicans, Methodists, Baptists, Mormons, SDAs, WTS, Amish, Hutterites, Catholics and Orthodox Church are all Christian religions, IMO.

• rebel8
    rebel8

The dictionary says people who believe in Jesus as a supernatural god are xians. jws meet that criteria.

It strikes me that all other distinctions are really things individual religions have chosen to add to the definition, which is what denominations and religions are all about--making their own definitions.

"Belong to Jesus" vs. "receiving salvation through Jesus' sacrifice" to them is a big deal, because they get to convince themselves they are the teacher's pets.

To me, it doesn't really matter which one is more "into" Jesus or any other imaginary bearded sky daddy. The bible has been massively disproven as a source of fact, truth, wisdom and morality.

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15

Didn't we used to have a song or something that said "We belong to Jehovah"?

JWs don't worship Jesus or view him as diety, which is contrary to gospel accounts and most of Christendom today.

• flipper
    flipper

The word "Christian" is nothing more than a marketing tool for the Watchtower.

Not religious myself, but it seems Christianity tries to promote kindness, generosity, forgiveness. Ain't much of that in the jw religion.

As a kid sent to Catholic grade school, I thought that religion was mean and petty. The jws are way worse. And the closer to the top the worse it gets.

They behave like they were raised by wolves. What is more mean and selfish than sucking up to god by throwing your family under the bus (shunning) so that you can cheat death.

Mrs. F

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Jeffrey Dahmer was a Christian and his baptism was accepted as genuine.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/2006/11/Saving-Jeffrey-Dahmer.aspx

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I'm aware of the dictionary definition of "Christian." If you look at the Bible, and what Christians were back in those days, then it's obvious that JWs do not meet the criteria.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit