Watchtower Loses an Appeal

by TerryWalstrom 41 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

PUBLICATION COURT OF APPEAL,
    FOURTH APPELLATE DISTRICT DIVISION ONE STATE OF CALIFORNIA
    OSBALDO PADRON, Plaintiff and Respondent, v.
    WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC.,
    Defendant and Appellant.

Finding

Watchtower has abused the discovery process. It has zealously advocated its position and lost multiple times. Yet, it cavalierly refuses to acknowledge the consequences of these losses and the validity of the court's orders requiring it to produce documents in response to request number 12. And, in a further act of defiance, Watchtower informed the court that it would not comply with the March 25, 2016 order 39 requiring it to produce documents responsive to request number 12. The court, following Lopez, supra, 246 Cal.App.4th 566, as an incremental step toward terminating sanctions if Watchtower persists in its unjustified conduct, imposed monetary sanctions. On the record before us, we are satisfied that the superior court's order was not arbitrary, capricious, or whimsical. To the contrary, the superior court has shown great patience and flexibility in dealing with a recalcitrant litigant who refuses to follow valid orders and merely reiterates losing arguments. We therefore affirm. DISPOSITION The order is affirmed. Padron is awarded his costs of appeal.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Here are the full details of the finding:

file:///home/chronos/u-b0cb2382e0a2f41afc3d75d9f819389e819a5729/Downloads/D070723-11-9-17-Update.PDF

• sparrowdown
  • darkspilver
  • Half banana
    Half banana

This arrogant cult imagines it is above the law. I'm pleased the court has noticed this and commented on their cavalier attitude. For this they are being punished, very satisfactory!

Also note that the WT is described as "recalcitrant" and their lawyers are clearly ineffectual by repeating failed arguments. (Just like JWs do on the doors!)

Does anyone else think as I do that they are beginning to act as if nothing matters any more?

Have they seen the writing on the wall?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

When the GB heads ordered all congregations to dispose of any information in written format concerning acts of child sexual abuse by its members in their congregations, you can guess the shit was about to hit the fan.

Quite frankly I think the WTS is just digging a hole deeper for themselves, particularly if this information hits the public media.

• SadElder
    SadElder

Likely they will take this to a higher court if they can. They love to litigate and claim persecution when they lose.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Eventually they are going to be forced to hand them over.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Could we be seeing the start of another ARC being developed in the United States ?

One thing that gets the law courts pissed off is organizations, religious or otherwise secretly hiding away instances of pedophilia intentionally done so to protect their own public image.

The Catholic church has been gone over with scrutiny in recent years, now it seems the courts are looking for other religious institutions that pretty much did the same thing.

The ARC discovered over 1000 instances of potential acts of pedophilia in that country.

I wonder how many the US HQ has on file being that the JWS have been established for so many years there along with the greater population ?

• Moster
    Moster

They are so disgusting. Protecting a pedophile. Makes me sick to my stomach. They could have prevented so many from being abused, if they would have just acted. Now all they have to do is produce the paperwork - but they are more concerned with saving face than saving children. So very, very sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit