Executed Jehovah's Witness under Hitler were more Christian than Jdubs

by suavojr 14 Replies latest jw friends

• suavojr
    suavojr

Has anyone noticed how the phraseology of this letter is so far away from today’s JW theology and idioms used? Do you notice what word is missing?

How would any of us be viewed in the congregations if we were to speak or write this way?

Just hours before his execution, Gerhard Steinacher wrote this farewell letter to his parents (translation below). Three lines were censored by the Nazis.

Dear Mother and Father,

Well, there is no point in saying much. I was informed two hours ago, at 7:00 p.m., that I’m to be executed tomorrow at 5:50 a.m. The moment has arrived, Lord give me strength, yes, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I am sitting here in a cell, it’s about 1:00 a.m., two other men are in here with me, time is rushing by, I am writing this letter in stages as things come to mind. It’s cold outside, snowing again. May the Lord give you strength. I want to work and I’ve promised both orally and in writing that I will work ambitiously and be completely content. However, I just can’t shoot and everything revolves around this one point. Now, let the Lord’s will take place; what is to happen cannot be stopped. Be strong, do not let this weaken you, but let it bring you closer together, do not give up. I am still a child and I can only stand if the Lord grants me the strength, and I ask him to. I received your last letter marked March 25. The 25th, the last greetings from you. Now it’s around 3:30 a.m. I never thought this would all happen so fast. [Three lines have been censored by the Nazis] . . . surprise and so you never know what will happen from one minute to the next. You will get my belongings. Pens, papers and letters, money and clothing, key, and some other things. Please give my warmest greetings to my grandparents, Resi, Uncle, Aunt, Grandma and Grandpa, Mr. and Mrs. Hock. To all my workmates, everyone who knows me and all my relatives. Father, be strong, do not give up, do not fall apart, but be strong in your faith as in everything else. And you, Mother, be strong and firm and support one another. Beg the Lord that he protects you, gives you power and hope and directs everything so that you stay on the right path and that nothing happens to you. I will also ask him on your behalf. As the hour draws closer, I really realize how weak we are. Up to this point, I have always had the chance to change my mind. I want to work, but I just can’t shoot. So now I will finish. I greet and kiss you, dear Father and Mother, I will always be your Gerhard, 100,000 times over, who longed to be with you. Until we see each other again in the Kingdom, where all four of us will be together again. Be of good cheer.
    A million kisses.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    Both "Jehovah" and "the Org" are missing. I wonder what in the world could be thought worthy of censor.
  • clarity
    clarity

He pleaded..."Beg the Lord".

In those days, 1940's, JW's prayed to Jesus!

clarity

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    It does sound non-witnessy
  • suavojr
    suavojr
    Such a big difference! No mention of paradise earth, no talk about the organization, no Jehovah as Vanderhoven7 mentioned.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It does seem far away from modern JW-speak.

The letter is heartbreaking.

What method of execution was used on poor Herr Steinacher?

• suavojr
    suavojr
    The guillotine.
  • suavojr
    suavojr
    He was only 19
  • tragical
    tragical
    So tragic! It is interesting to study how the Nazi party came to rise so fast. Most of you have no idea and are caught in the same feedback loop that gave Hitler his power except that this time it is of the opposite spectrum. Interesting find nonetheless. Thanks
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

oh my word that poor boy, poor generation in fact. If ever anyone touched jehovah's eyeball it was the nazis surely.

I didn't know german boys could be executed for refusing to bear arms.

Heartbreaking. Image being the poor parent who read such a letter.

Edited to add, certainly sounds like a regular Christian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit