Would you take your shoes off?

by Golden Girl 43 Replies latest social family

• Matty
    Matty

I much prefer people to ban shoes in the house rather than put down that horrible plastic sheeting that some put down over their carpeting to protect it.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Well I have been brought up to take my shoes off when I enter someones house. It's common courtesy, I thought.

Now if you come from a place that it never rains or snows, and you have street cleaners coming down your street everyday, by all means keep your shoes on.

• freedom96
    freedom96

If someone asks, sure, I would take them off.

Usually here in the US it is because people just want to keep their carpets looking nice. I can understand that. For me however, I would not want to ask my friends to take their shoes off. I can always clean the carpets. I am not going to be so concerned about my precious carpets that I take the chance to make someone else feel uncomfortable.

• AlanF
    AlanF

When in Rome, do as the Romans.

It's a little thing, it's not rude, some people want it for cultural reasons and some for hygiene and some just because they want it. What's the big deal?

AlanF

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Up here in the Great White North,you have to take your shoes off,or your floors and rugs will look like a barn floor.Just too much dust in the dry season,too much mud in the wet season and too much snow in the cold season...OUTLAW

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I'm with many of you. First off, if someone asks me to take off my shoes in their home, I most certainly would, but out of habit, I do anyways.

Up here in Canada, and probably most of the northern third of the USA, if you don't take off your shoes and trapse though the house or someone elses, it'll begin to look like a salt mine. Up here, there's so damn much salt, I swear, when I sweep my floor (vestibule), there is, at least a 1/4 lb. of salt. I just take it down to the landing, and put it (salt) down WHERE I FELL ABOUT A HUNDRED TIMES this winter .

My apartment is not very big, and I tend to take off my shoes once I am inside. I always where sandal-like footwear inside the apartment or thick socks. I'd hate to think that a herd of goats or sheep were living in here.....boot tracks, and skid marks everywhere...yikes!

So I'm totally cool with taking off my shoes upon arrival at a friend's home.

When wearing snowshoes, it's so much easier to take them off than walking through someones home smashing and breaking everything in sight.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane
    When wearing snowshoes, it's so much easier to take them off than walking through someones home smashing and breaking everything in sight.

LOL Razorblade.

We don't all wear snowshoes here. Big snowmobile boots though, to keep our tootsies warm while driving to work.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

ROFLMAO !

And how about those cross-country skis we have to use to get out to the snowmobiles, so we can drive to work ?

• mustang
    mustang

I have a second home in Asia. When visiting the "relatives", it is expected. We all have more than one pair of shoes. There are slippers inside the doorways for the living room, kitchen and so forth. There are also slippers for your bedroom and sometimes even for the bathroom. It is a way of life in Asia.

Mustang

• riz
    riz

my husband and i don't wear shoes in our house either. we kick them off in the doorway and leave them there.

i find that when company comes over, they immediately remove their shoes without me asking them to. in fact, i've never asked anyone to remove their shoes. when they reach down to untie their laces i tell them they can keep their shoes on if they want to. even then, they still take their shoes off.

i don't mind shoes on the carpet unless they are muddy, of course. just keep your shoes off of my furniture. i'd be pissed if i had to wipe mud and ghod knows what else off of my couches.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit