What would happen if there was no more shunning?

by Maverick 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Maverick
    Maverick

I wonder what would happen if the Governing Body decided to drop the shunning of those who do not want to go along with the program? How many closet dissidents are out there in J-dud land? Would they lose a million publishers? Would the exposure of their whole tissue of lies just unravel the organization? We have a lot of lurkers checking these sites. I contend a happy J-dud would never come here. So their not 100% pure J-dud loyalists. Maverick

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The wacktower would fall like ton of bricks, that's what would happen.

• minimus
    minimus

I think that if shunning was not used, the organization would grow incredibly! It would be just like the Catholic Church. Once you're a Catholic, you die a Catholic. The numbers it would increase dramatically. Even if people were viewed as "marked", they could still be JW's. And they wouldn't have to get rid of judicial committees either. They could be used to discipline and "help" a person so that they can always be a part of God's "ark of survival". You read it here first, folks! No more shunning means a lot more numbers.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Gotta agree with Minimus. I think the ranks would swell.

Beryl

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Shunning is the main brick in the WTBTS structure. Without shunning there would be free expression , freedom of conscience, and ultimatly reform. Shunning is used not only to keep the congregations clean but wrongly to punish dissenters , the source of reform and change. Without shunning, the whole apparatus is threatened. What's the first rule of government?........... to stay in power. Shunning is like a death sentence. Under present circumstances the only hope is that the membersip ignores the policy of shunning . The disfellowshipping and shunning of Bill Bowen and others opened up that possibility because of the work they are doing for abused publishers. However, the WTBTS is standing in the way and publishers are afraid . The WTBTS is being sued for using shunning on those whose work is to help these frightened victims of abuse.

• LB
    LB

Sure the ranks would swell if they stopped shunning. The ranks would swell if they celebrated holidays, voted, had oral sex, played school sports, dated without chaperones, took blood, arrested child molestors and pulled their heads out of their asses.

But that's not going to happen.

• gumby
    gumby

I wonder what would happen if the Governing Body decided to drop the shunning of those who do not want to go along with the program

Didn't you read the new "Questions from readers" in the new, April,15th Watchtower?

The scripture they use to validify shunning is 1st. Cor. 5:9-11

The scripture says that "if anyone is called a brother and is a fornicator, idolotor, or a greedy person, to not say a greeting to him or eat a meal with him."

The article goes on to say that this applies.........to those that call themselves a brother......not ...those who choose to not be recoginised as a brother any longer. An adjustment has been made.

( scroll down )

Just kidding!

However.....I've often wondered WHY this reasoning isn't used.

Gumby

• Shakita
    Shakita

The bible always talks about "not even eating with a man..." "not associating with anyone who calls himself a brother..." So, I guess it is OK if you are of the female persuasion?

If new light were passed down from above and the shunning issue was much less of a commandment....in my opinion, you would see a lot of happy witnesses in the kingdom hall. Many families would be reunited and regardless of whether or not the shunned returned to the fold, I think that the society would benefit in the area that really counts to them.......$$$$$$. A happy flock will be a more generous flock.

Mrs. Shakita

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

This organization needs shunning.

The doctrinal system is so goofy that it cannot withstand an open environment. The JWs have teachings that contradict science (age of humanity), history (607), ancient languages (God's name in New Testament), theology (blood), current events (last days), morality (protecting child abusers), and many many others.

The only way that they can retain their membership and their pretense of being God's spokesperson is by cutting their people off from sources of conflicting information. And the most powerful source of relevant information, coupled with the will to spread it, is found among former members. They don't give a rat's ass about fornicators or theives. But apostates are anathema.

If they stopped shunning, the only way that they could survive over the long term, would be to reform.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Gumby !! What year Gumby-1986? (((WT)I think It is the one I am trying to replace ( mine is torn & tattered.) I think that is the one I was DF on.. In that article is says "Approved association with Jehovahs Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible .INCLUDING those scriptueal beliefs that are UNIQUE to Jehovahs Witnesses. What do such beliefs include"

Then it goes on to tell what that is -- like Jehovah is soverign- that Jesus is subordinate to his Father,- that THEY are the faithful & discreet slave.( the Governing Body) & that 1914 is the end of the Gentle times. etc"\: etc: etc: etc:Excuse me while I go throw up!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit