Did 1914 mark an increase in earthquake activity & deaths worldwide?

by Kenneson 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

lol...This Step ain't for the faint-hearted.

HS

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Realness,Fakel said the WBTS has taken a 180degree turn on their original interpretation of earth quakes.There is nothing false about that statement..You clumsily try to misdirect this thread to no avail...OUTLAW

• REALNESS
    REALNESS

Outlaw: Do you have to try hard to be this ignorant or does it come natrually?. Yet again:

I have already stated in this thread that " I dont deny they have changed their interpretation of this", (interperetation of earthquakes). Thank you telling me what i already admitted, is this so hard to understand, can i make it any clearer for you?.

Farkel was commenting on what in his ilogical opinion was the joke of their NEW interpretation. I responded to this point and exposed farkel twisting words to suit himself.

If anyone is misdirecting this thread it is you. So.......

Would you like to respond to my post to farkel?

Come on Outlaw try to keep up.

R

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Realness,none of your comments have anything to do with what Farkel has said...OUTLAW

• AlanF
    AlanF

I'll take a chance that Realness isn't a troll or someone we know who is pulling our collective leg.

Ok, Realness, let's try this again:

How can anything be a sign if it doesn't change?

If, as you claim, it is the perception of people in general that "things are worse", such as earthquakes, then just what event occurred that marked the line of demarcation between when the "composite sign" did not exist and when it did, and when did this event occur?

If, as you claim, it is the perception of people in general that "things are worse", such as earthquakes, then what evidence can you present that peoples' perceptions are now different from what they were before whenever you claim their perceptions changed?

Anything besides a straight answer to these questions will prove that you're either a troll or a typically braindead JW.

AlanF

• jgnat
    jgnat

His next step is not for the faint of heart! http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/hil0pro-1 LOL. I made the early mistake as tagging you as a woman as well. Oops.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Realness,

You said:

: So lets get it straight the wtbs is NOT saying as you wrongly claim "how scared people will be".

The wtbs is saying that people will perceive these earthquakes in a different manner than previously. They will perceive (attain awareness or understanding) that these are a not run of the mill occurances.

Right. That's what I said. Now, let's analyze what you said. Your basic argument is that people will "perceive that these are not run of the mill occurances," right?

So, do you mean that earthquakes are not "run of the mill occurrences," (even though they've been de facto run of the mill since man was alive to observer them)? Or, do you mean that earthquakes in those ever-elusive "last days" (which are the same basic types of earthquakes as any earthquakes since the dawn of man) will be perceived as NOT "run of the mill", when in fact they are and have ALWAYS been "run of the mill?"

Seems to me you've created a very stupid circular argument for yourself in attempting to defend Watchtower Idiocy(tm), Realness.

If you want to present it in a better manner, please feel free to do so, but first address my argument above in this post.

Furthermore, I very rightly assumed in my previous post that people would be "scared" of earthquakes in response to the WTS's statement of last-day "perception of them." Would you argue honestly that my assumption was wrong? Would you argue that in the last-days people's "perception of earthquakes" would be anything other than fear?

Jack the dub says: "Hey Elder Jeb: we just had another big earthquake. What do you think?"

Elder Jeb: "Well, Jack, I think earthquakes are really cool. I like earthquakes. Earthquakes are really cool. Earthquakes are use-friendly and don't scare me in the least, even when they happen in my living room. That particular earthquake you mentioned just killed my entire family and wiped out my entire business. Earthquakes are really cool, Jack. Since that wonderful spiritual food from the "Slave" came out, I've changed my "perception" of them. I'm not scared of them anymore.

Jack: "You are truly a spiritual man, Elder Jeb. You can always pick up a new wife in the New System. Just keep pioneering, and just keep believing, and you just MIGHT make it past Armageddon. I know you'll make it past Armageddon, 'cause you're an elder and you only molested children who were not your own family members."

Elder Jeb: "Yep. Just trust in the Slave, and keep your molesting outside of your family and Jehovah will protect you and save you."

So, Realness: what new "perception" about earthquakes could there be other than the age-old perception of earthquakes: they scare the crap out of people?

Please elucidate. I eagerly await the next round of your wisdom.

Farkel

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Realness,

You have evaded all the main issues of this thread. Read its title again and try to stop the sarcasm until you learn how to spell more accurately, it dimishes your credibility.

Your argument now that the WTS has allowed you to have a new thought on the matter, is that though you now accept that earthquakes have not increased in frequency since 1914 more people are allowed to 'percieve' them via the media and Internet and that this was Gods plan all along.

Can you give me a single reason why this comic explanation should be taken seriously? For example has God played a part in developing modern media communications and the Internet? If so what scriptual evidence can you show us which sustains any of this? Did Christ have foreknowledge of the media and the Internet when he began his Olivet Discourse?

AlanF suggests that you are either a troll or 'braindead'. You have your choice which one is it? Your views unfortunately give no choice for a less painful answer.

HS

• onacruse
    onacruse

The USGS has compiled "a list of significant, past earthquakes for which reliable magnitude estimates are available," reviewed and updated annually. It lists 167 earthquakes from 1556 through 2001.

http://www.earthquake.usgs.gov/docs/020204mag_signeq.html

Based on their data, a few simple calculations give:

Average magnitude of earthquakes before 1914: 7.4

Average magnitude of earthquakes after 1914: 7.0

Total deaths caused by earthquakes before 1914: 1,219,769

Total deaths caused by earthquakes after 1914: 1,258,781

(The only thing I changed was the deaths the USGS listed for the 1976 earthquake in Tangshan, China. Their list has 255,000 fatalities, with a footnote that some estimates run as high as 655,000. I took the average and plugged in 455,000)

The average magnitude of earthquakes has actually decreased by 5% since 1914.

World population estimates vary, but reasonable numbers for the period covered by the USGS study are:

1550 615,000,000

1914 1,850,000,000

2000 6,000,000,000

The average world population from 1550-1914 was 1.2 billion, during which time about 1.2 million people died from earthquakes, or 10 people out of every 10,000.

The average world population from 1914 to 2000 was 3.9 billion, during which time about 1.3 million people died from earthquakes, or about 3 people out of every 10,000.

The per capita death rate due to earthquakes has actually decreased by a factor of 3 since 1914.

Of course, this is right in line with the info provided in the link Kenneson gives to http://watchtowerinformationservice.org/eq.htm, which includes comparable, though slightly different, earthquake lists and calculations based on The “Sign” of the Last Days — When? by Jonsson and Herbst .

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit