Windows Automatic Updates

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• talley
    talley

Being the newbie that I am, all I can say is that my new Dell Dimension 2100 came from the 'factory' with XP Home Edition installed at the factory. I have never put a cd in it that did not come from Dell packaged with the computer. (computer was new in Jan '02)

I followed the Automatic Update prompts as I always did in the past and the computer would not reboot after the installation...The "reinstalling Windows XP" cd would not 'take'. So my 'techie' said we could get another XP for $400. or he could install Windows 98 for free. Since this is just a toy for me I went for 'free'.

There was a Q & A in todays (March 10) St.Paul Pioneer Press, and if I knew what I was doing I would scan it here, but I don't know what I'm doing. Anyway, the answer refered to 'boot viruses and Trojan worms'. The last thing I did was install that Windows automatic update on 3/4/03 and it would not start again. It would show the Dell globe, the the Windows XP display page and then a black page with white lettering that gave me 5 different starting choices - none of which would work. If I did nothing, the three pages would cycle over and over and over.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! talley/Judy

P.S. The only thing I really, really, really miss is the 'spider solitare'.

• JH
    JH

I'm still getting 2 updates a day. That's really weird.

Why so many?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit