Windows Automatic Updates

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I've been getting windows automatic updates 2 times a day now, since the last week. I didn't have any since the last month or two and all of a sudden so many of them. Same thing at my father's place on his computer.

We both have windows XP pro. It is a corrupt copied version, like so many people have.

Has anybody else had all those updates recently?

• JH
    JH

Could these updates also be there to spy on us? I have a modem connection to internet, and clicking on the connection icon on the bottom right, I seem to send alot of bytes of information. It's normal that I receive alot of bytes of information, but I don't know why I am sending so much.

Is personal information being retrieved from my hard disk, or is this just normal?

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I think it's normal. For the past week or so, I too have been getting these updates. I also have xp.

• talley
    talley

All I can say is 'be careful...be very, very careful'. The last week of Feb. I got an Automatic Update for my XP Home Edition. I put the 'installation' off for 6 days and when I finally did 'install' it, my computer would not reboot. Had a techie out here and he said the main board was now a brick. He had to 'scrub' and the reinstallation cd would not reinstall, so he put in Window 98 for me so I would have something to play with.

Everything worked fine until that last fatal update; by the way, I was running Norton at the time, and whatever came with that update got right in and shut me down bigtime.

• animal
    animal

General rule of thumb when running ANY pirated software..... NEVER let any updates run automatically. I never heard of a windows update turning your motherboard into a "brick". It updates windows files, not BIOS files. You may have had something else going on and were unaware.

Pirated XP wont let you install the last service pack... at least not the ones I have seen. Thats why I dropped it and went back to Win2000.... strong and reliable.

Animal

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I have windows XP Home edition. It was purchased and is registered with Microsoft. I lost my internet explorer and went to them for help. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE REALLY SUCKS. I was told to reinstall xp at the risk of losing info etc. This used up one of the two free tries at service. Then the guy tells me he won't charge it to my account and I would still have two. The next day I found that I had been charged for two and none left.

I browsed around and found a patch "for Internet explorer lost after (restore) is used. Downloaded it and installed it and I now have Internet explorer back. So this was a known problem and was not on the update site. The update site states that "using restore will maybe destroy updates. Does that make any sense? Will update then reinstall it?

Before all this, I saw 3 "critical" updates were needed when I had my computer scanned for updates. But they will down load and then fail to install. I have tried several times over the last 3 weeks to install them and they always fail. One of the microsoft techs told me that if i already had the update installed it would fail and that is the problem. If so Why does the scan tell me I need them?? I don't think this tech is right. All the updates I know of will just install over the other if it is already there.

Again Microsoft Customer, SERVICE SUCKS BIG TIME.

Outoftheorg of the MICROSOFT SUCKS class

• outoftheorg
  • DonnieDarko
    DonnieDarko

If you have a "pirated" version of windows xp I suggest you don't go to the windows site. If you do, windows automatically logs your ip although legally they can't go after you. I would just turn offauto update or get a valid cdkey. And yes, you can install the xp service pack1.unfortunately, when you try and run it xp now detects your invalid cdkey and shuts down windows. There are ways around this of course, but that would be illegal now wouldn't it!

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I totally agree with you Animal. W2K is the only way to fly.

Didn't know you were a CADD animal. Me too. Well started that way anyway. I read your resume today.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Yep, XP is a hoser. Especially the Home edition(what's up with the networking features MSFT??). Win2k is the way to go. Some of the benchmark tests that I ran on the same computer showed Win2k performing as well or better than XP Pro. To me, I think the only real advantage in XP over 2k is the bootup time. And maybe some games, but I'm not a big gamer. There are ways around the XP authentication sceme, but it involves getting a copy of the Corp. edition of XP Pro. Once you've got that, no problemo. I'll just wait until I'm forced to start using XP or the next higher "Longhorn" when it comes out due to incompatible software. But until then, Win2k is still the champ to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit