Windows Automatic Updates

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• animal
    animal

Yep Slippy... CADD whore from way back. Just got a call from Valley Forge about some job.... I didnt call back. I like the winters here in AZ

Animal

• kat_newmas
    kat_newmas

I have xp and I am no expert, but a tech at the cable company, who works for my wife told me that if you install a pirated version of xp, that it was designed to shut your drive down. So true or not.I don't know.. but you take a risk.

• Simon
    Simon

I run XP on several PC's and "virtual PC's" (http://www.vmware.com)

Never had any trouble with it and the auto-update makes sure it stays uptodate and secure. I would definitely recommend it as an OS.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

XP SP1 has no known 'malware' that can cause adverse concequences on a PC with a piated version; any one who calls themselves a Computer Tech and says otherwise should be avoided, as they've picked the wrong hole.

As for W2K, I know what people mean vs. XP.

Fact 1; when a piece of software gets to release, you're actually paying to be a Beta Tester. Get used to it.

XP wasn't that great until SP1. If I was building new I'd go for XP. It stuns me how Luddism always happens. W3.11 -> W98, W98SE -> W ME, etc. There's no point holding on to an outdated OS, as it just means more work in the future.

If I was applying an OS to a PC older than three years, I'd pick ME or 98SE (some people hate ME, it's never bitten me though). Anything inbetween W2K, as to be fair, it's pretty good.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    XP SP1 has no known 'malware' that can cause adverse concequences on a PC with a piated version; any one who calls themselves a Computer Tech and says otherwise should be avoided, as they've picked the wrong hole.

I'm not sure what you mean by this Abaddon, but it is well known in the underground trade that SP1 foiled several cracked keys which made XP inoperable after downloading and installing SP1.Even MSFT documented it on their website:

"Service pack 1 will fail to install on Windows XP installations using either of two well-known pirated product keys. Additionally, Windows Update will verify the product key used to install Windows XP against a list of valid product keys to ensure installations made with cracked or pirated product keys will not receive access."

Now of course, there are new ways to get around SP1.....

• Jourles
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon

Well, I may stand corrected, but that quote (and others I've read) imply that SP1 won't install on pirated XP). That's different to junking mainboards or stopping access to drives. I've not seen any documented repeateable evidence of that.

• Jourles
    Jourles

If M$ was to incorporate some type of mobo bios flash to thier updates just for pirates, there would be a LOT of pissed off people out there. Heck, quite a few mobo companies now let you download a background program which automatically downloads and installs drivers/bios/etc for their mobo's without having to go into DOS mode or use a floppy to upgrade. It would be cake for M$ to add that little feature in, but lawfully it will never happen. I'm sure it is on their wish list though....

Can you see M$ buying out a few mobo companies and running with this scenario? Geez, they would have you by the balls.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Well, if you sniff around Intel's site you can see that the BIOS is going the way of the floppy that was floppy...

... here's a link talking about the end of BIOS and the begining of EFI

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-985600.html

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The reason some of you cannot install Service Pack 1 is because you are using a product key that is being blocked by Microsoft.

Odds are you are using this key: FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8

To fix your problem, you need to change your key to a new valid corporate key, such as : K2KB2-BDBGV-KP686-D8T7X-HDMQ8

This will make your copy of XP Pro 100% operational.

NOTE:

• I don't know if this key will work with XP Home Edition.
    • This is a hack of XP, so if you screw up your computer, don't come crying to me.
    • If you do this, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter... or I can guarantee that you will screw up your computer.
    • If you are installing a fresh copy of XP Pro, then you can simply enter the new key (K2KB2-BDBGV-KP686-D8T7X-HDMQ8) and everything will install just fine with no need to do any hack.

Click Here to download detailed instructions on how to change your key.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit