Independent living for Senior facilities are thru the roof here. What about your area??

by James Mixon 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Cangie
    Cangie

@James Mixon...I live in Pennsylvania, and there are many such facilities for Independent Living for Seniors that are even cheaper than mine. I pay a flat-fee rent, but some charge 1/3 of your Social Security, so the amount is based on your income. The facilities are partly subsidized by HUD, (government funds for housing), and are considered "low-income housing" and while we do not have luxuries like spas and pools, are very clean and well taken care of with on-site laundry facilities, libraries, parking lots and nice grounds and a Social Worker available for help with benefits, etc. The one I live in is actually rather nice. On the other hand, there are some that charge the fees you listed.

@FTB...I have no idea what the answer is in regards to paying for the next step. I will be educating myself about that soon, I guess. I don't think Medicare will pay for a very fancy facility, so unless you have the income, assets or have prepaid into retirement insurance that addresses that, well...

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Getting old is an expensive proposition. If you have the money the other option is to leave it to your kids or someone else - you cannot take it with you. If you don't have money these places are not for you.

For a few years I worked as a consultant to nursing homes and senior living centers where the they provided care from independent living, assisted living, through to end-of life nursing care. The places I visited were upscale living centers that had fine dining, golf, and just about anything you can imagine. When I was on an assignment, instead of staying in a hotel, I generally stayed as an overnight guest in these locations. They were far nicer than a hotel.

Expensive - yes - but then again they serve a purpose, especially for those with no family and plenty of cash.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The only thing Medicare pays for is skilled nursing care - this is not extended care - but the short term convalescent care after a hospital stay. In my consulting activity I worked with these facilities to help with their Medicare billings.

These facilities are all - out of pocket expenses to the resident.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

New York: A question for you. As I mention some of these places ask for money up front,

like $200000.00 just to move in. What happen if the unforeseen take place, all your saving

is wipe out and you can't make the monthly payments, do they still kick you out even though

you gave them $200000.00 for the privilege of living there???

There have been plenty of seniors who have been scammed out of their life saving.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Wow i had no idea it was so much money. $6000 a month... that's crazy.

My neighbors who seem to be in their 80's i think, went a different route. They still live in their house, but pay for a live-in home aid. I kinda like that idea better, and i'm thinking it might be much cheaper than 6000.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

A good friend in my senior guitar class told me yesterday his son told him, he will be

moving into a senior facility. He own his home, his wife died year ago and he is 93 years

old. His son is the only child, he doesn't live with his father. My friend has a care provider

that live with him. While talking with him I could see he was upset with his son.

And he plays the guitar well. So sad....

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    James ask:"What happen if the unforeseen take place, all your saving

is wipe out and you can't make the monthly payments, do they still kick you out even though you gave them $200000.00 for the privilege of living there???"

I was not involved in this part of the sales process. My guess is that they are looking for not only the upfront money, but sufficient resources to support your payments in any unforeseen event. I am not qualified to tell you what level of reserve you need. But I think if you are investigating, this is an excellent question.

I live in a Co-op apartment in Manhattan, if someone wants to buy into our building we requires a validation of income and a specific reserve. I am sure it is as strict - or even more so - in these buildings. In my opinion it should be. If I am in the building I don't want to subsidize a deadbeat.

As you know, ask many questions and investigate options. I am sure there are different levels of service - some may not be of any value to you. So make sure you are not paying for these. Good luck. Personally, I would seriously consider moving into one of these facilities. I see nothing wrong with spending the money I worked hard for my whole life so that I can have a comfortable experience in "god's waiting room" (just a little inside nursing home joke).

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Also, James - I agree. Seniors are easy targets for scams. So, be very careful. There are honest players and there are those not so honest.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Thanks NY....
  • truthlover
    truthlover
    In Canada, the province where I live anyway, most hospitals are housing seniors who are sickly until they can get a bed in a nursing home. Up to 30% of the beds in the hospital in this province are taken by seniors waiting to leave the hospital to a nursing home. This impacts greatly on sick ones who need a bed but nothing will be done.., private companies have purchased land and built new nursing home and clients pay dearly per month there and they hire CCA or LPN ( a step down from RN) to assista with meals and personal hygiene however, in the provincial nursing homes, the rate paid per client is pro rated to their income - some pay $23 a day for their own room with meals and a nurse who drops in to see they are taking their meds and housework is done by staff. Not bad... its just the problem of getting that accommodation. Still more housing is needed for seniors.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit