Independent living for Senior facilities are thru the roof here. What about your area??

by James Mixon 30 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

blondie: thanks for the info. I will be OK I'm a vet with a 100% disabilities but

I worry about my JW family members. They making it hard for seniors to leave anything

for their children. It's terrible you can't afford to get old. Here in California, 1in 5 seniors live

below poverty, I'm sure the number is higher among JWs...

• Heaven
    Heaven

In Ontario, Canada, the prices are pretty similar for 'private' seniors residences to the ones you quoted in the OP. Prices go up depending on how many services you want. There are also seniors apartments available that aren't that bad.

If you require a nursing home, these are subsidized by the government. A basic room is under $2,000 a month. If you do not have the basic amount, the government further subsidizes on an individual basis.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Not to make light of the situation - I helped my wife take care of her mother until she died at 94 (the mother, not my wife). Her mother was post-stroke and couldn't speak and was partially paralized on her left side. Near the end, my wife finally gave in and put her mother in assisted care, but took her back out in a week. Granted, it was not a $6000/month facility. I honestly thought my wife was going to die from the stress before her mother died.

So, my question is: what did people do before there were independent living facilities for seniors?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I have mention this before about my ex-JW neighbor. It's sad because he had

no children and has one sister who is not a JW. She called me the other day, she

live in another city with her daughter. My ex-neighbor is in his 80's and maybe once

a month he gets a visit form two JW women(drop of the magazines). He have very little retirement

funds. When she (his sister) decided to put him in a nursing home she called me and ask

would I go by and pay him a visit. That facility was anything but above par, it was terrible.

So we were able to find a much nicer one. The funny thing his sister walked away from JW life ,

she wanted no parts of it . So now we have his sister who despise JW's and me an Apostate

taking care of his welfare. JWs is no where to be seen, but they do drop off the magazine.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Fade ToBlack: The kids took care of their parents.
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    Exactly James. And why can't they be bothered to do that now? If they are reasonably independent, wouldn't it be cheaper to just build a mil apartment or add on a room? It would be as they say: a win-win.
  • Cangie
    Cangie

Please indulge me for a moment...this topic digs at a personal issue for me. Many people, including several on this board, completely mix up the variety of facilities of care for seniors. It seems to be the consensus that when we become "doddery" (a term used by one poster) we will all be thrown into "the home", a thought so horrific that it strikes fear into the best of us. Please allow me to define the differences, as the terms are NOT interchangeable. The OP asked about experiences with Independent Living for Senior facilities. In some, you can be as young as 55 (or even 18 if you have physical or mental disabilities) and even continue to work if you choose. You take full care of yourself, as there is NO medical assistance on site. We just have the privilege of not being bothered with other people's kids living there, lol. The one I live in had a requirement age of 62. I am one of the "youngsters" here, at 63 when I entered last year. Many people here ask me if I am visiting someone, as they do not believe I am older than my 50's. I pay $422 a month rent for a private studio apartment with a kitchen and bathroom, and it includes all utilities. I am here, as I tell my kids, "for the cheap rent and a great view." I am still in excellent enough health to live in a regular apartment building, but as an ex-JW, my finances are less than adequate for that.

Assisted Living is the next level, where you are beginning to deal with some health issues that require you to need medical assistance, and also provide some housekeeping help. They can be very expensive, because they include doctor and nurses on site or on call, and your meals, laundry etc. is included. Nursing homes are for the fully disabled senior, who cannot perhaps even feed, bathe and remember who family members are, and cannot be left alone without supervision lest they injure themselves (or others, as some have experienced). It too is very expensive, and I don't know what I will do when the day comes that I will need assisted care or nursing home care. Please everyone prepare for your retirement as it will come, if you are lucky, sooner than you think.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

cangie: where do you live??? $422 a month is great for Independent Living. The average price

around here is $1700.00 _$2500.00.. And yes "prepare for your retirement as it will come".

The average cost fro a private one bedroom apartment in an "Assisted" living residence is

$3,022.00 per month, from 2009....

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I hear you Cangie. $422 would be a great price to pay if you were still independent and didn't want to put up with someone else's darlings. But as you stated, what comes next? Perhaps some compromise?

How did people manage this situation before health insurnace and private care became part of the equation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit