1000 Years is Like 1 Day?

by Sorry 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sorry
    Sorry

Anyone else hear about this. As all j-dubs know, whenever someone complains about how long the "new system" is taking too arrive, they use the excuse that Jehovah works on his own time. Quite a few times during the public talks, I've heard speakers say the phrase "1000 years to us is only one day to Jehovah" (my parents never stop talking about this). I don't recall seeing this in any literature. Whenever I ask other witnesses, some have heard it, but many have not. Have any of you seen or heard this? Where did that particular number come from (because others have said it's only 100)?

• sparky1
    sparky1

Psalm 90:4 - "For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night." King James Version

• sparky1
    sparky1

2 Peter 3:8 - ".........one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." King James Version

• JeffT
    JeffT

So if one day = 1000 years, then the 2,520 days from Daniel = 2,520,000 years, Making Armageddon due around 2,519,393 CE.

Edited to add, I'm off by a year because I forgot the no zero year thing.

• prologos
    prologos
    2 Peter 3:8 - ".........one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." King James Version

According to this, god's time observation would both be very detailed, like in slow motion, and rapid like in a sped-up film. Acts 1:7 says we can't understand time, and scientists agree, is it a 4th dimension? or just sequencing of events, locations?. An eternal creator would not live in a knife-edg -size "now" present, of a non-stop movement through time - as we do, and if he really inspired the bible or the GB, he would do so in understandable, true terms, which he has not done. obviously. or?

The fast part of the scripture debunks the slow part, that jws like to use as an excuse for their failed prophecies.

• sparky1
    sparky1

JeffT...........please, please, please stop using your 'worldly' 'Satan based' accounting education to try and figure out the meaning of Bible passages. You must leave that up to the 'fallible, error prone, uninspired but spirit directed' Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses.(tm) Other than that, your post was utterly fantastic and 'smirk worthy' to the highest degree!

• blondie
    blondie

Up until 1989 the WTS said a creative day is 7,000 years long and that we are on the close to the beginning of the last 1,000 years in the 7th day of the week of creation.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php

So the WTS picks whatever definition suits their doctrine.

• Spiral
    Spiral

I remember this. Just a great way to explain why God never does anything to help humans, who are stuck suffering in slow-motion. Exquisite torture for the humans, while the almighty is up in heaven somewhere oblivious to the day to day consequences of his indecisiveness.

Not a very satisfying God to put your faith in, I'd say. That's why I am an athiest.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

One day at an assembly feels like it takes 1,000 years before it ends.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

one of the reasons i quit the cult--over 40 years ago--was having no faith in the 7,000 year long creative day nonsense. its only when i discovered the online world of xjw's that i found out that had been quietly dropped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit