What have I been doing for the last few years?

by Lee Marsh 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

I used to be here a lot. Every single day almost. And then I wasn't.

Well let's start with a before.

After I left the JWs I went to college and then university. In both I studied counseling so that when I graduated I could help other survivors of childhood sexual abuse. This was a dream that I had as a child and it continued until I connected to the JWs where I was told that it would be a waste of time because we would not need counselors in the "new system". Everyone would be perfect. (yeah right. Still waiting for that one - well not really) So I gave up my dream, got baptized, married had kids, had a breakdown, got divorced and DFed and finally went back to school to do what I wanted.

I counseled sexual abuse survivors, both men and women, exclusively for 13 years in Montreal.

Then the internet happened!!!

I started a support group for survivors on the old "Sympatico" website and got to know a few people around the world, started searching for exJW websites and found JWD!!! and posted here as "Lady Lee".

Moved to Winnipeg , got married and started to work with the homeless many of whom had been abused as children. I switched jobs to work with abused women many of whom were sexually abused as children.

And then I got sick. I had to quit working. Did a lot more work in here whenever I could. Made friends. Made enemies. Kept my sanity somehow. Did a couple of interesting projects like the cookbooks compiled from recipes by many of the posters here. All proceeds went to pay for this website. And I put together the "Best of Series". Hope some people still find that useful.

And then I was offered a chance to help on a new project that had a rather rocky start but has matured over the years. AAWA. Yes it still exists. I am the president of this not-for-profit company. We have some new projects we are working on and act as an umbrella organization for businesses or organizations that need a little help.

• AJWRB (Associated Jehovah's Witnesses for Reform on Blood) is now affiliated with us. The JW blood policy is flawed and has resulted in the death of thousands of men women and children. Lee Elder continues his work at exposing and clarifying the blood policy for JWs and for the legal and medical communities. It is a masterpiece. It is an honor to assist him in any way we can.
    • Shunning is a Crime is a new initiative that we are proud to be a part of. SAIC is working on making legal precedents to ban mandated shunning. Mandated shunning has taken so many lives because some religions or organizations enforce shunning policies that isolate some of their more vulnerable members, ostracizing them at a time when they need help the most.
    • AAWA itself continues to inform on various damaging policies of the WTS/JWs: blood, shunning. lack of post-secondary education, the abuse of children and the abuse of women. I did this interview recently for Unveiling Watch Tower Abuses.

I also started a small coaching service for people who have left any kind of cult .Stronger After provides 5 free coaching sessions that can help people coming out of cults What an eye-opener that has been. JWs are not as unique as they think they are. All cults do the same things to their members. Stronger After helps people identify their needs so that when they do find a therapist they know what to ask for. It gives them some tools and a language to help them move forward.

-------

Covid took a bite out of the world. While I didn't get covid I did catch the other big C - Cancer. So during the covid epidemic I battled cancer - 3 times. Colon (surgery and chemo) then metastasized to right upper lung (surgery no chemo because of my sever reaction) and then the lower left lung (radiation but no chemo). Cancer free now!!!

During my self imposed isolation I helped a friend with a civil legal case and studied civil law and helped him win what some lawyers thought was an unwinnable case. Now I have civil law running around in my head. Never wanted to be a lawyer but was actually given the title of Legal Agent by the judge in the case so that I could do what my friend needed done legally, like submitting papers to the court and speaking in court for him. Still don't want to be a lawyer though.

As a JW I had 2 children. They are long grown and one has children so I am a grandmother. And her oldest has 2 children and another on the way so soon (July) I will have 3 great-grandchildren. My mother is still alive so we have 5 generations of women alive right now. My mother has Alzheimer's and the last time I did talk to her she didn't know who I was. She thought I had died. She is 89 yrs. old. We have very sporadic contact.

Now I am doing tax papers (just mine) No desire to be an accountant either.

I have a love/hate relationship with tiny homes. They are adorable but dang there is no room for anything. No place to do anything. I would never survive in one. I have developed a green thumb since the cancer. I am growing some of the strangest plants that I never knew existed. Air plants! Who knew? And something called a zigzag plant. I have a large garden every summer. Normally I kill all plants but now, since cancer, I feel like the plant rescuer.

I have been a lot busier than I thought it seems. And oddly thinking about going back to school. Still willing to help others who need it.

And I am back here. it has changed a lot. Not as fast a board as it used to be but that is a good thing. Many new faces and and many old ones (older ones).

Some days I want to hang it all up and really retire. But then I wonder what I would do. So here I am.

Thank you Simon for keeping this alive.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Best wishes.

Thanks for the ”best of “ series.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Thanks for your story Lee. So glad you were a part of this forum. I joined JWD 20 years ago. Not sure of the month, but I think it might have been April. Back then we had the live chat going, but unfortunately, some people abused it so Simon took it down.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Lee Marsh:

WE LOVE YA LADY LEE!

Atlantis!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Hi Lee Marsh.

You were instrumental in my "wake-up" around 2006-07.

Thanks for the "best of" series.

We love you.

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

I remember all of you. Nice to see you all. What have you been doing or what has been happening in your lives?

• Listener
    Listener

Nice to hear from you Lady Lee. I think you were a moderator here at one time, or maybe I have it wrong.

It sounds like you've been through a tough challenge with your Cancer and have had to make some big decisions that have worked out well for you.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Hi Lee,

oh, my heart goes out to you !

In those JWD days we had such vitality but now we are battling the rampage of time but really we are the same people and we have the same to give.

For me, my beloved Mrs Ozzie departed a few years back and, instead of moderating on JWD in the early hours of the morning, I am battling the sleeping demons, but have tried to keep myself up-to-date with the never-ending tableau of abused victims of the Borg.

Reminiscing on those moderating days, luvs ya Lee, you did good!

Much affection,

Cheers 🍷

Ozzie

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks for all you have done for us Lee Marsh , aka Lady Lee . You have come through a lot and won our respect…..

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Lady Lee! Wow! So good to see you back on here. I remember an update a while back about the "Big C", and was hoping you'd pull thru and continue on above ground. Congrats!

And 5 "Overlapping Generations" ta boot? It's a WT Miracle! Actually, the real miracle is that you and your family have found the way out of this abusive, dumbass cult!

Welcome back!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit