Should kids learn cursive handwriting?

by GrreatTeacher 37 Replies latest social current

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

La Capra, good point about just taking pictures with phones. I used to worry about the digital divide. My students live in poverty. They don't have computers in their homes and it's true.

But they all have cell phones! And what am I using right now to communicate? A cell phone. Apparently I am slow and stupid for using one finger when double thumbing is much faster! Cell phones are the future of computing. We call people, have a GPS system, take photos, store contact information, create documents for use and sharing, pay bills, FaceTime people to speak to them in person, etc. We can't actually teleport people with them, yet. But they have more computing and other powers in a portable device that is cheaper than pc's or laptops.

This will be the way of the future. We type erratically until the word we're looking for finally appears. And no big deal if we get it wrong, autocorrect has got your back. We google the very beginnings of a thought and myriads of options pop up for our perusal and consideration. And if we don't have the gumption to google something, then we can just use Siri who knows the answers to just about everything.

Kids take these things for granted. While I, not a digital native, have a hard time with technology to this day. I did not grow up with it in my home. I only got a personal computer as an adult and I still struggle because things that should be really easy are often difficult for me. I just don't have a digital brain.

• steve2
    steve2

Thank god cursive handwriting is a thing of the past. As a left hander, being made to use cursive handwriting ended up in my constantly smudging the ink as I sought to copy the right handers.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Doctors handwriting usually bridges the gap between illegible scribble and cursive writing. So yes, it’s important we teach cursive.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

When the grid goes down those who are untaught cursive will be lost.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Wow, things sure have changed.

When I wrote cursive in high school, I got detention.

:smirk:

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Cursive and cursing - two different things entirely!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I did the cursive thing in 3rd and 4th grade and probably part of 5th grade.

By 6th grade, I was back to printing and haven't done the cursive thing since (over 40 years).

At least I could read the printing. I remember some letters (like the capital Q) looked weird to me in cursive.

Rub a Dub

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    sparky: I have wondered if giving up cursive writing would be detrimental in the long run for the mental and emotional health of a child and eventually for the maturing adult. Personally, I think it could be disastrous for a child's self-communication skills and ability to communicate with others clearly....

You are right on point, Sparky

The act of cursive writing aids in brain development. To a large degree.

The notion of what you call self-dialogue could be part of what it is that cursive writing encourages: communication between the right and left brain hemispheres. Self dialogue would arise out of whole brain thinking/functioning.

Some interesting articles:

What’s Lost as Handwriting Fades (pdf)

A study of handwriting production:Educational and developmental aspect (pdf)

(I haven't fully read the above papers...they are now on my list of "to read". Right/left brain functioning is one of my favorite topics)

And a couple more...this one is about the benefits of cursive for dyslexic students:

https://landmark360.org/2018/08/22/connected-letters-connected-thinking-how-cursive-writing-helps-us-learn/

And...

https://www.memoriapress.com/articles/top-10-reasons-to-learn-cursive/

*I am still thinking about your idea of "self dialogue" and how that relates to the "idea generating" component of increasing right brain dialogue with left brain tasks. I think your notion fits quite well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit