Should kids learn cursive handwriting?

by GrreatTeacher 37 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Ok, thanks.

Schoolkids must learn how to read and write joined-up writing.

If not something is seriously wrong.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Sorry. Tried to paste an example, but it disappeared!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Simon, I'm worried that eventually no one will care about original song lyrics because they won't be able to read them!

• Simon
    Simon
    beautiful, isn't it

Reminds me a little of a cross between short-hand and calligraphy.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

If they would teach things like emotional intelligence or critical thinking instead I'd be happier. I think there are more life skills needed than fancy writing. Chalk me up as one that thinks cursive is a waste of time.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

GREAT TEACHER:

Of course, they should continue to teach cursive handwriting. I learned it. Every other little kid learned it as well! As you said, children who can’t write it can’t read it. What a disadvantage they will have in life.

I strongly suggest that anybody mailing a letter or package anywhere had better write the address in block print. Hopefully, they can read THAT.

It’s a sad state of affairs and we are going backwards in the U.S.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Here is my non-professional opinion:

I have wondered if giving up cursive writing would be detrimental in the long run for the mental and emotional health of a child and eventually for the maturing adult. Personally, I think it could be disastrous for a child's self-communication skills and ability to communicate with others clearly. When a child learns to form letters cursively, the neuronal connections in the brain for self conversation might strengthen as the child struggles to form the letters correctly and then to create a coherent sentence that will allow them to present their ideas clearly. Also, the effort to form cursive letters seems to take more concentration and could also lead to more a creative skillset than may be possible with just forming the block letters of printing. I personally believe that this is why young people are becoming less and less able to communicate clearly and openly with others; because they are losing the ability for self dialogue. (Of course, technology is also responsible for the inability for some young persons to communicate clearly when in personal conversation.) At any rate, I have talked my theory over with a psychologist, 2 high school teachers and 1 middle school teacher. All of them think that I am on to something but that they have never given the idea any thought. Just my own pet theory and I have no scientific basis for coming to this conclusion. If it were me, I would find time to teach cursive writing as another form of intellectual challenge for the child's developing brain.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Reminds me a little of a cross between short-hand and calligraphy - in a way, it is shorthand.

The sentence means 'I love a cup of coffee in the morning'.

Transliterated, it's: ana uhebb finjaan qahwa sabahan.

But the actual Arabic letters used are 'ana uhb fnjan qhwa sbah(an)'.

And here's some Arabic calligraphy ...

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

yes be able to write at speed faster than printing and witout needing keyboard skils, or even a keyboard

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

And sorry, just had to post this!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit