Underage child: PIMI vs PIMO parents rights

by psyco 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• psyco
    psyco

I am a PIMO, inactive, parent of an underage child.

I was wondering what rights I have in regards to avoid that my child will be baptized when still underage, not having read the entire Bible and before being able to clearly evaluate all the alternatives and consequences (like it happened to me) whereas the other PIMI parent has all the rights to do it.

Any experiences about children in a PIMI vs PIMO parents situation?

Thanks.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

tell your child to wait...Jesus wasn't baptized until he was 30. Also, the jW had a video a few years ago showing disfellowshipped kids calling home but no response...let them know that is how the pimi parent would treat them if they should get disfellowshipped or decide to leave. People don't seem to think it could ever be them. Also discuss with them, they aren't getting baptized for Jehovah and Jesus. Find a copy of the latest "question" and explain it is a legal contract giving the JWs control over their life, that they are really dedicating to men rather than God.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

How old are they? How indoctrinated are they? PIMO parents have an impossible road. Pretending to believe while hoping your children don't. The best lesson you can teach your children is to be their own person and learn to think for themselves. Taking a stand takes courage, doing it while being loving takes real strength and patience.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Years ago a woman told the elder who was a special pioneer, that bunch of kids aren't ready to be baptized. ( several were getting baptized at the same time just because one was coerced into it -parents weren't going to sign for the person who had just turned 18 to marry unless that person got baptized) Other siblings and a cousin hopped on board the baptism wagon. The elder told the mother of 3 of the young people to let them get baptized and the elders would work with them after that. Within 18 months, three were disfellowshipped. I think 2 came back in. One died while being chased by the cops. Another was disfellowshipped for immorality some years later. He made a point to get back in in record time. ( pride, I think ) Years after that he disassociated because his immoral life style caught up with him- because he had become an elder by this time and the other elders were patting him on the back and telling him he had done nothing wrong.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

To change band wagons: if you are pimo, then the kid thinks you are still a JW only not so "active". A thought came to me that you try to have a one on one Bible study with the child. When in this Bible study, you come across scriptures that the WT have twisted to suit their narrative ( such as the one I posted this morning about Christ's brothers) then the two of you do the research-Bible verses WT. Pull it off like it is the first time you ever questioned it. The JW want you to do research in their literature...and that is what condemns them the most. Take the generation teaching. Going on an illustration limb here-suppose you promised the kid a car when kid turns 16. Kid turns 16, and you tell him you got new information that he really shouldn't have a car until he is 18, so he will have to wait until he is 18. He turns 18 and you tell him he can't legally drink until he is 21, so you decide you aren't getting him a car until he is 21. Kid turns 21 and you are flat broke and you tell the kid that if you ever get enough money ahead you will buy the car for the kid. Ask the kid if he trusts you and believes you are really ever going to buy a car?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

You can tell your kid that you want him to wait until he gets older. And you can tell the elders that you don’t want him to get baptized until he is of legal age because that is your decision.

• Ding
    Ding

In the United States, usually the parent who has legal custody of a minor child has the right to determine the child's religious upbringing.

Of course, the other parent could get the child baptized without your knowledge.

You might want to get a specific order through the divorce court preventing that.

Even if they're baptized in violation of a court order, the WT will consider them to be a JW and will shun them if they leave.

• jhine
    jhine

May l ask is your spouse pimi ? Is that why you are in this quandary?

Jan

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Fisherman You can tell your kid that you want him to wait until he gets older. And you can tell the elders that you don’t want him to get baptized until he is of legal age because that is your decision.

I agree with The Fisher one it's really as simple as this. Just explain. The elders won't baptise a minor if a parent doesn't want them to until they're of age. (not sure your sex) If you are the father I can absolutely guarantee they won't go against your wishes as 'head'(if you're divorced, head of the child at least, if not it's mother)

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I am also thinking beings you are pimo, that you need to find stealth ways to undermine the JW teachings . A direct approach likely won't work...teach critical thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit