Things I remember growing up in the 70s

by The Rebel 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

I feel very old as my childhood was in the late 40s and early 50s, cane in school for being late, 100 lines for something, cross country runs for miles that I hated, errands for next door for which I got 6 old pence , just enough for a quarter of sherbet lemons!

When King George died I was at school and around 10 in the morning the bell went for the entire school to go the the hall, when we got there the headmaster told us the King had died and that we were being sent home for the day. Imagine today sending infants and primary school children home alone with no guarantee anyone was home. But factories etc also closed for the day , my mother had to sew black armbands on our school Blazers, the radio had closed down, no TVs of course, cinemas closed,everyone seemed to close all their curtains, would be different today. I was in the church choir with my brother and for next few weeks all choristers and clergy only wore their black cassocks for services, no white top . After the Coronation all our school were taken to the cinema to see a colour film of the Coronation as only a very few had minute, black and white TV sets. Our school was near Cadburys factory so we all got a mug filled with chocolates and lots of other sweets. Not sure but sweet rationing only just ended then.

When new Queen broadcast to the country, we were at school, and teachers made us stand up for entire broadcast . Street party for coronation in pouring rain!

I remember being ill with severe scarlet fever and being sent in to school,as it was the 11plus exam to decide our next school.

I can remember the last tram running in Liverpool, the first non steam train, the Deltic, running up and down the line by school with no steam coming out! It was painted bright blue and yellow and marked the end of an era, as soon all steam trains confined to history.

How many boys today would wear short trousers and a cap to school? Not many I think

Free school milk and clinic orange juice and everyday a spoon some malted stuff full of caster oil. Ink wells at school as we were not allowed Biros then, nibbled pens and lots of spill led ink and stains! Deltic by the way stood for Diesel Electric.

• SAHS
    SAHS

TO “Lostandfound”:

Well, I feel old alright, . . . . but not that old! (I’ve never used an old inkwell pen.)

• Simon
    Simon
    I also liked the Narnia books the teacher read to us in primary school cause they reminded me of 'the truth'

Probably because C.S.Lewis based the story on the Bible as a kids version of it.

There's a tree in the original garden (Magicians Nephew - first book) and Aslan is sacrificed as a ransom, final battle is Armageddon and they all end up in paradise (Narnia) when they die.

Also, I remember ink-wells and fountain pens. Bloody awful but also strangely great.

• Landy
    Landy
    The strange things is, despite all the crap we used to get up to, I can't ever remember anyone getting even mildly hurt.

I remember bumps and bruises and having to get an ambulance once cos someone broke a leg*, but that was it and we did some daft stuff. Kids were made by tonka** in the 70s.

*Near my house we had some woods, bordering the woods was a dry beck and a cornfield. After the farmer cut the corn we used to pinch the hay and fill the beck with it. We used to then pretend we were Lee Majors in The Fall Guy and jump out of the tree and land in the piled up hay. A few 'I dare you's' later and we were jumping from 20ft up. It was all going swimmingly until one lad missed the hay pile ......

**Another 70s throwback :)

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

You might like this, especially if you were growing up in the 70s in the UK...

https://www.facebook.com/kevmond/videos/10154474615383054/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit