Things I remember growing up in the 70s

by The Rebel 44 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I remember sitting on my daddy's lap and driving an imaginary car, I also remember sitting on my mummies lap on the front seat, without a seat belt whilst my dad drove a real car. I remember we bought fish and chips from the chippy wrapped in yesterday's newspapers. I remember bouncing up and down on my space hopper in the garden. I remember the Bay City Rollers. And as the decade grew, I also grew up and I remember how I secretly collected the page 3 pictures from the sun newspaper of topless women....but most of all I remember my first love. Well it was a kind of puppy love, we never even spoke, but I fell in love for the first time and still remember her name.

What nostalgic memories do you have from your first memorable decade of life?

The Rebel.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

so i take it your British ?

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray

The Austin Maxi, Fawlty Towers, and brown grass in 76.

Oh, and Star Wars and Jaws. Don't even want to talk about Grease

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i had 2 austin maxis.

i recorded every episode of faulty towers on VHS tapes--my daughter watched them repeatedly.

i never smoked grass.

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray
    Stan-"i never smoked grass"

LOL! Very good.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I am English Stan. More importantly I believe it was in the 80s personalized number plates became a fashion. I say this because I love your Avetor a car number plate " 666 XJW" that's cool.

Giles Gray, yes Fawlty Towers, but some of the ( only 12 episodes were made) are as degrading to women as Benny Hill or On The Buses. Dads Army is still a fun show though.

The Rebel.

p.s I still love Benny Hill, but my wife objects.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

What turned out to be my step dad (found this out when I was 60+) died when I was 12. That is when I got all my wonderful adopted step dad's at least that is what I called them. They just all hung out at our house. Two of them owned this great big place at Rehoboth Beach and all of us would go there every weekend and party, it was an absolute blast. These were the ones who taught me manners, etiquette, how to set a table fit for a queen, one even taught me how to drive in his Lincoln (I was scared to death). One even taught me how to put on make up, he took me clothes shopping h... he looked better in a dress then I ever would dream of. I loved all my gay daddys and they protected me from my mom.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Rebel, you can't beat fish and chips wrapped in newspaper can you? Today's are not the same!

Some of my memories...collecting as many creepy crawlies from the garden as I could and putting them all in a jar and getting bitten by a centipede. Even though I was a 'girly' girl, insects and other creatures fascinated me.

My dad's cars (always bangers) never failed to pack up when going on a long trip and being stuck by the side of the road for hours while he (or more likely a mechanically minded friend) fixed it.

Teasing a little boy and pinching his schoolcap (they wore them back then) and flinging it into the older children's playground so he couldn't get it. (my way of showing I liked him... I was only five) and one day his mum finding me and giving me a good ticking off. I never did it again!

The first episodes of Corrie in B&W... I've watched it ever since! Elsie Tanner and Ena Sharples...

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Rebelfighter:- thanks your post made starting the O.P worthwhile.

Tornapart, thanks for bringing back to my memory the " school caps". I had forgotten all about having to wear the thing and having to retrieve it daily from the bushes after it had been taken from my head by the class bully.

The Rebel.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Food rationing. King George 6th dying. The Coronation - we kids all got a model of the coronation coach. The Suez crisis. Petrol was rationed again in 1956. Mopeds - so many mopeds buzzing around. Steam locomotives. Executions - our teacher would make us all bow our heads in prayer when someone was being hanged. My dad's car, a 1936 Armstrong Siddeley that reeked of petrol. The smell of chalk in our classrooms. Awful school milk, School dinners, 2/6- every week, sixpence a day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit