Baptism at 10 years of age! March 2017 broadcast

by stuckinarut2 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Sometimes kids are baptized even younger than 10. I've heard of 6 year olds being baptized and there was such an experience published in the Watchtower Magazine.

By publishing young baptisms Watchtower is encouraging other young children to be baptized too.

1. Baptized at 6 (W 3-1-1992, p27. "Pursuing a Goal Set at Six Years of Age," life story of Sandra Cowan)
      "In the summer of 1946, I was baptized at the international convention in Cleveland, Ohio. Although I was only six years of age, I was determined to fulfill my dedication to Jehovah. That summer I served as a pioneer for the first time. I remember one morning placing 40 magazines with people seated at The Plaza in San Diego, California. My being tiny and talkative had a lot to do with it, I’m sure."
    2. Baptized at 8 (yb02 p. 110 Curaçao)
      "In Bonaire, six-year-old Renzo was invited to the Kingdom Hall and enjoyed it very much. A Bible study was started with him, and from then on he refused to go to the Catholic church....Subsequently, Renzo’s father and mother along with one of Renzo’s Bible students were baptized. Renzo, now eight years old, was baptized at a circuit assembly in Bonaire."
    3. Baptized at 9 (w96 10/15 p. 32 "Jehovah Answered My Prayers!")
      "Consider, for example, a boy named Joel. He symbolized his dedication to Jehovah and was baptized at nine years of age."
    4. Baptized in 4th grade and 6th grade (around 9 and 11) (w95 1/1 p. 24 “Out of the Mouth of Babes”)
      "During her six years of elementary school, Ayumi arranged for 13 Bible studies. She was baptized while in the fourth grade, and one of her friends with whom she had studied was baptized in the sixth grade."

But when these baptized children misbehave they are tried and judged as any adult would be in the congregation.

• (Pay Attention to Yourself and to All the Flock, p. 98)
      "When a baptized minor becomes involved in wrongdoing that threatens the cleanness of the congregation, the assigned committee should meet with such individual just as they would with any other member of the congregation"
  • blondie
    blondie

jws are taught that only "baptized" jws will survive Armageddon (in good standing of course). Minor children come under what is called "family merit" by the WTS, that is no longer in force as protection for children when the reach the age of responsibility which is nebulous. No child baptism but children baptized as young as 5?

Armageddon is very soon now per the WTS and parents want to be sure their children are baptized. Baptism is supposed to be a barrier against wrongdoing, with the threat of disfellowshipping over the heads of these children.

Serve god out of fear not love is the result.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yes!! The whole religion is based on ''fear''. Everything based on ''fear'' the whole foundation is based on ''fear''. The key motivating factor.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    stuckinarut: (I wanted to put this in the child abuse section of the forum!)

After watching the ARC hearing tonight, it certainly could belong in that section.

O'Brien claimed that anyone who got baptized was either an adult or "approaching adulthood" and so they came under shunning sanctions if they disassociated.

Obviously, baptism at 10 years of age indicates a refusal to accept the legal definition of "minor" if they think that a ten year old is "approaching adulthood".

The WTS fosters a distorted view of "child" and "adult". No wonder they have a hard time defining appropriate relationships within their congregations.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Awakednow - "...what happened to 'Jesus was baptized at 30 and following him as a model closely'?"

Obviously, too many dutiful followers were listening.

:smirk:

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    OrhphanCrow - "...The WTS fosters a distorted view of 'child' and 'adult'. No wonder they have a hard time defining appropriate relationships within their congregations."

Nice zinger.

Personally, I think WT ideology fosters the view that all the membership are - for all intents and purposes - "children".

The literature certainly supports that theory. :smirk:

• Listener
    Listener

When they discussed those disassociating as being an adult or close to adulthood they were probably being correct. That is the absurdity of the situation.

How is an 11 year old going to dissassociate or even have the comprehension of what that is? Just imagine the reaction of the parents to say the least.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I think it's absolutely disgusting. These poor children no doubt want to please their parents and obviously have not been able to look at any other religion, nor had the choice to look at science outside of the Watchtower.

The Governing Body are cruel for praising this, not a hint of "are you sure you know what you're doing?" or "do you know what this means?"

And the parents that allow it should be ashamed of themselves.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Listener: When they discussed those disassociating as being an adult or close to adulthood they were probably being correct. That is the absurdity of the situation.

How is an 11 year old going to dissassociate or even have the comprehension of what that is? Just imagine the reaction of the parents to say the least.

That's true. But O'Brien claimed that those who disassociated had made their baptism choice when they were adults or approaching adulthood. He wasn't talking about the age at the time of disassociation - he was talking about their age at the time of baptism.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

A deep philosophical question here: Does the baptism of a pregnant woman apply to her unborn child?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit