Defining Christianity

by Carmel 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I don't think that you are unique in the way that you feel. Most of 'us' are re-thinking lots of things. I think that the WTS has a lot of things right. (I'm ducking now!) No, seriously. For quite some time I have been questioning everything. There are plenty of things that I don't agree with as far as procedure is concerned and things I don't agree with doctrinally as well. But there are many things that after having examined them closely and debated these things with other religious views I still agree with. That a person or an organization is wrong about some of its teachings does not necessarily make them wrong about everything.
    I am very slow in dropping one belief and picking up another. I have found that by debating what I have been taught as a JW with other views has given me opportunity to really 'test' what I have come to believe in.
    You may be interested (I was surprised) to know that the JW beliefs are not as unique as you may suppose. I have run across others who share 'our' beliefs on several things including no hellfire, no trinity, an earthly paradise, etc. The Church of God, for example, believes this way.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• waiting
    waiting

Hey, Frenchy,

I've heard The Church of God mentioned several times on different subjects - never in a good light.

What are their beliefs (in a nut shell). I have also read that they are implied to be a cult, like others I've read about.

Since you're familiar with them - can you shed any light?

Thanks, waiting

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Hello, waiting. I'm not that familiar with them. I got to know some of what they believe from a poster on another board. I believe I am the only JW to ever post there and I'm sure you can imagine the responses I got! Anyway, this man is Church of God. I got to know him and some of his beliefs through his posts and we e-mail each other now and then. He appears to be a very fine individual and seems very sincere in his beliefs. I'll get you the address to the Church's website and post it here.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Waiting, here this is the homepage of The Church of God:[url]www.chog.org[/url]

• somebody
    somebody

Chris*tian [1] (noun)
    ----------------
    [Latin christianus, adjective & noun, from Greek christianos, from Christos]

First appeared 1526

1 a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ

Chris*tian*i*ty (noun)
    --------------------
    First appeared 14th Century

1 : the religion derived from Jesus Christ, based on the Bible as sacred scripture, and professed by Eastern, Roman Catholic, and Protestant bodies

2 : conformity to the Christian religion

3 : CHRISTENDOM 2

Chris*ten*dom (noun)
    --------------
    [Middle English cristendom, from Old English cristendom, from cristen]

First appeared before 12th Century

1 : CHRISTIANITY 1

2 : the part of the world in which Christianity prevails

Ambition is like a frog sitting on a Venus Flytrap. The flytrap can bite and bite, but it won't bother the frog because it only has little tiny plant teeth. But some other stuff could happen and it could be like ambition.

• waiting
    waiting

Well, thanks, Somebody,

The dictionary does come in handy sometimes. Your riddle at the end could use some enlightment for readers like me, however.

Care to share?

waiting

• Carmel
    Carmel

Thanks Someone for the Webster insight.

It would seem that from a pure relativist perspective, anyone who wishes to call him/herself whatever, has the right to do so. He/she should not expect thought to be welcomed with open arms to that particular group that has a right to define itself.

I'm wondering how Webster knew what to include in his tome? Had he asked a liberal theologian, he may have gotten a different definition to publish.

carmel

• somebody
    somebody

Hi Carmel,

I'll go whith what you said regarding the Webster definitions. The Biblical definaition of a Christian though, is an adherent of Christ; follower of Christ. in the Bible, they were called "believers" because of the fact that they were adherents of Jesus and followed him and believed in him. So....all those who were believers made up Christianity.

That is my opinion.

:-) ,
    somebody

~~~~~When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.~~~

• Mad
    Mad

When in doubt- take your focus off men, and raise it above!

Mad

• RAF
    RAF

wow this thread is from 2000 ...

ok my answer would be whoever follow what Christ asked us (whatever religion there are in or not - cause it's not a question of religion) is a christian ... there is only one baptisme and it's not the water one (but JWBATS = GB do not agree with me on this ... LOL ... since they want to divided to be ruler)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit