Defining Christianity

by Carmel 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

It seems I constantly am confronted with those who are trying to make a "Christian" out of me. In various threads on this forum the term is used as if everyone understands what it means and there is no fuzzy edges.

I wonder if all here assume that only those that follow "Jesus" are to be considered "christian"?
    Consider that the title "Christ" was not the name of the Nazarene, only a title! My point is if one accepts Jesus as "a christ" as apposed to "Thee Christ", do you still consider them "Christian"?

carmel

• Carmel
    Carmel

Not talking to myself, just wanted to add an additonal thought. Muslims consider Abraham, Moses and Jesus as well as their faithful followers as Muslim. Why, because the definition of the appellation is "submission to God", hence anyone who submitted their will to the will of god, was and is by definition a "Muslim". We overlook the idea that we can be a Jew/Muslim, follower of Jesus/Muslim, etc, etc.

By definition many could call themselves "christian" and not confine themselves to following only the teachings of Jesus. What do we then call a follower of Jesus if we strip off the title "Christ"?

carmel musing at sunrise

• waiting
    waiting

Dear Carmel,

Good, deep, points. However, I'm going to have to have more coffee before I can even pretend to formulate a reply. Actually never thought of this point before.

waiting

• Seven
    Seven
    I wonder if all here assume that only those
    that follow "Jesus" are to be considered "christian?"

I've always answered that question with a question of my own. Is our creator
    so small as to have only constructed one road leading to his door? No. I hardly think so. I firmly believe Jehovah has revealed himself in many different ways to peoples of various cultures
    throughout history. Thinking otherwise reflects our smallness and limitations of understanding.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I do think that only those who follow Christ are to be called Christian. Isn't that by definition what it means?

But I have considered what Seven said regarding other possible paths and consider that a reasonable possiblility. Because mankind is devided so heavily by culture and tradition, I find it hard to believe that God would somehow judge others adversely because they were born in a non-Christian land. Besides many who follow religions like Islam are for the most part far more devout than those who call themselves Christian.

Its a very difficult subject. By insisting one way is better than the next, one is only inviting problems.

Path

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I've also come to the conclusion that there is not just one proper way to approach God.

In a previous post I mentioned the "narrow road" and expressed the thought that perhaps that road was being walked by people who were truly spiritual and pleasing to God, rather than adherents of any particular faith.

As far as the question of the meaning of the word "Christian" is concerned, technically it would be those who believe in Jesus Christ. However, I find myself using the term to apply to those of whatever faith who espouse the principles taught by Jesus.

Edited by - RedhorseWoman on 29 June 2000 23:12:18

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Carmel,

You're from Israel, right? I'm going to have to drink a lot more coffee before I can attempt to answer your (most of them) posts.

I've noticed, you seem more proper than British Simon. Would that be a fair statement? Like we say here in the South USA: "Y'all ain't frum 'round here, are ya?" (we squint our eyes and cock our heads to the side when we say this, BTW.)

Just wondering.....

waiting

• Carmel
    Carmel

Waiting,

No I'm no native Israeli.. Grew up in western Washington State, way out on the Olympic Peninsula. Migrated to Montana where I taught HighSchool Biology and Chemistry then moved back to the Seattle area for a couple of years. After that the family moved to Alaska where we were for a quarter of a century. We move to Israel three years ago. Had enough cold winters and wet summers. Sun shines 350 days a year here...

I live within a stones throw of Elijah's cave in a flat over-looking the Med.

cheers,

carmel (the mountain)

• Carmel
    Carmel

Dear Path,

I guess my point is, if I consider the term "Christ" as a title bestowed upon "Jesus" and I accept the station of Jesus as the "son of God" then I am two things. First I accept the idea of the title and second the role of Jesus. Okay? Then by contemporary standards I am "Christian".

However, if I beleive that there are other "annointed ones" (Christs) although I still honor and accept Jesus as the "son", am I no longer a Christian? I have enlarged the definition of "Christ" to be inclusive rather than exclusive.

Finally, if I beleived in the exclusiveness of Jesus, I would not use the appellation Christian as I would be a Jesusian.

carmel

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Ok I understand what you are saying now.

You could argue that way on technicalities, but I was speaking of what is generally accepted. Muslims I believe accept Christ as a major prophet but no Muslim will say they are a Christian.

Its an interesting concept though.

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit