After leaving the JWs - Has anyone stayed with Christianity?

by rulehayl 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• zeb
    zeb

In a govt census I listed myself as 'Christian.. small "c"..

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I believe in God. I don't believe God is present in any Kingdom Hall. For thirty years, I didn't give it much thought. Then I realized you don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water. I attend a friendly, uplifting non-denominational church now and really enjoy it. I truly feel God's presence and love the worship music. It helps me be a better person.

I was always told church people couldn't find scriptures and don't own a Bible. That is so not true! Just another lie from the Org to seem superior.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

After leaving the JWs, I attended Unitarian Church services for a while. Then a classmate invited me to Anglican Church services, which I found more to my liking. Later I was baptized and confirmed in the Anglican Church.

While I remained a Christian after leaving the JWs, others have followed a different path. This may lead one to Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, or Secularism. Whether one chooses religion or non-religion, that is their choice and it's not my place to criticize their decision.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

The range of responses is nothing short of amazing! What is perhaps most puzzling is that quite a number indicate that they've become anti-Christian or anti-Bible.

What drew me to the witnesses as a teenager was their apparent zeal for studying The Word and proclaiming The Gospel. Luckily within two years I realized that the appearance was sham and was able to make my escape through the Navy.

I've always been a believer and find the evidence for our Creator in the Creation to be exceedingly great. My research over the years has verified that few have much of what is True and the vast majority has little that is True. None of the churches have the whole Truth and too many are quite corrupted. Consequently, I've not been drawn to any churches, but instead have found study and teaching groups which do not require membership and which do not attempt to exert any controls or place pressure upon any who desire to participate. Their comprehension of The Word and Prophecy has been incredibly stimulating and comforting. We are truly near the end of this age and events which are soon to take place in the Middle East will confirm that the End of Babylon the Great is fast approaching. That is Really Good News!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Seems like most exJW's who remain believers look for a church where they'll feel more comfortable. Doctrinal truth is all but irrelevant.

That helps in understanding why JWs are so rarely convinced by factual explanations which lay bare the error of their beliefs - doctrinal truth is as low on their priorities as it is for most christians.

Until something causes them to doubt and start questioning, they too will protect their comfort zone.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Firstly I want to say to you Rulehayle that you made a good decision to stop studying with JWs, you have saved yourself a lot of heartache later in life by doing so. By telling your study conductor that you have joined another religion there could be no greater disappointment for him or her because with JWs it is the number of believers which validates their faith.

If it takes a religion, an external force as a code of ethics to make a person good then it is the individual who is lacking moral fibre. I was a JW for twenty five years and I don't think I was a better or worse person during that time or afterwards and I'm certain from observing my friends who have also escaped, that the same goes for most ex JWs.

I realised religion was a scam courtesy of the behaviour of the Watchtower cult and could easily see the same spurious belief system working behind all religion because it is all based on hopes unsupported by evidence. How can anyone believe in spirits if by definition they are invisible and unknowable? "Beliefs" and faith are irrelevant to truth. Beliefs and faith can never make anything come true.

Surely it's what we DO that counts based on UNDERSTANDING -- not what we are led to believe?

• cofty
    cofty

I became a xtian for about 9 years after leaving the cult.

I am now convinced that there is no god.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

have a little nose around the evangelical Christianity scene after leaving the Borg, not for me, atheist all the way now.

• rulehayl
    rulehayl
    The range of responses is nothing short of amazing! What is perhaps most puzzling is that quite a number indicate that they've become anti-Christian or anti-Bible.
    What drew me to the witnesses as a teenager was their apparent zeal for studying The Word and proclaiming The Gospel

Yeah, that's exactly why I was drawn to them as well.

What is perhaps most puzzling is that quite a number indicate that they've become anti-Christian or anti-Bible
    Which kinda sucks in my opinion...
  • Half banana
    Half banana

Rulehayle I really hope that your choice of faith gives you happiness in your life but don't dismiss the matter that religious belief is without foundation in fact. The Bible for example is entirely human in origin and mainly borrowed from paganism and astrology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit