watchtower lapel pins

by wannaexit 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Orphancrow. The creators of the taco Bell dog got the money because of a violation of state contract law not federal copyright law. Literally the only reason they got it was not the reproduction of the material but because of the addition of an element, that of the expectation of receiving payment for their product.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Meanwhile, in Awake! No 2, 2017...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    wannaexit - "...sporting a building..."

Weirdest. Euphemism. Ever.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    sparrowdown - "The building on the RIP WT pin looks like a cartoon building."

Rather appropriate, considering the nature of the men who run it (*cough* Stephen Lett *cough*).

And I'm sure Bethel has felt like a f**ked-up Toontown to more than one resident over the years.

:smirk:

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    stan livedeath - "watchtower..1909-2016. is there a message there?"

A semi-prophetic "Rest In Peace"? :smirk:

• sparky1
    sparky1

Actually, Richard Oliver, I believe that Watchtower can obtain both copyright and trademark rights for Caleb and Sophia if they so desire. You stated that "Watchtower does not own a copyright for Caleb and Sophia, nor are they able to claim a copyright for Caleb and Sophia." Can you provide direct evidence for such a claim? Caleb and Sophia are not just depictions of a generic boy and girl but rather are specific characters used to present a copyrighted idea. Go to JW.ORG and access the Children's page "Become Jehovah's Friend". There you will find videos, songs and activities based around the Caleb and Sophia characters. Now, scroll down to the bottom of the page and notice that it says: "Copyright (c) 2017 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania." Next, click on TERMS OF USE and you will see that they 'claim' copyright for all text and information on the website. To further your legal education I have provided a link for you to a 'real' lawyer discussing the subject of Character trademarks and copyright:

http://www.ivanhoffman.com/characters.html

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Sparky. Again the videos are copyrightable, not the characters themselves. And I know for sure that the branch will send out cease and desist demands for copyrightable items, including pictures. Again people on here want the law to be black and white. It is not black and white.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Richard Oliver......thank you for not providing ANY proof that Caleb and Sophia as characters are not copyrighted or trademarked. I am to accept your word just because you say so. Read the link that I provided and perhaps you will learn something.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Sparky. The reference you use actually highlights my points. The reference talks about trademark, which you have stated you are not claiming, the character has to be identifiable to the general public. The section on copyright highlights that there has to be some originality in the character. A stock character is not copyrightable, it also highlights that the character is copyrightable in the context of the work. Under your idea, man who wears a hat and a mustache is copyrightable because charlie Chaplin wore a hat and mustache in movies. But that is a stock character look, but if there was a character who wears a hat and mustache and did unique things to him, that is copyrightable.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"U.S. copyright law (title 17 of the United States Code) provides for copyright protection of literary and artistic works. Copyright protection begins automatically when a work is first created in a fixed form. Cartoons and comic strips are among the types of works of authorship protected by copyright. This protection extends to any copyrightable pictorial or written expression contained in the work. Thus a drawing, picture, depiction, or written description of a character can be registered for copyright. Protection does not, however, extend to the title or general theme for a cartoon or comic strip, the general idea or name for characters depicted, or their intangible attributes. Although the copyright law does not provide such protection, a character may be protected under aspects of state, common, or trademark laws, and titles and names may sometimes be protected under state law doctrines or state and federal trademark laws." copyright.gov

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit