watchtower lapel pins

by wannaexit 58 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I've been noticing lots of these pins on lapels. I could almost understand the jwdotorg pin because the new mantra is to go to the website. But why on earth are they sporting a building? What difference is there between wearing a pin of a watchtower and a pin of a cross?

At least wearing a cross could remind a christian of christ--but a building??? isn't this idolatry?

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/4cb217_cea1401431f34674b67958d333c75f15.jpg/v1/fill/w_178,h_262,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/4cb217_cea1401431f34674b67958d333c75f15.jpg

• sparky1
    sparky1

Hey........If it's good enough for the Mormons, it's good enough for Jehovah's Witnesses!

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

They're making money

I don't think they need a rationale

:0)

• Room 215
    Room 215

It looks like a tombstone. It's remarkable to me that the higher-ups countenance this sort of blatant commercialization (maybe they're taking a cut of the profits; who knows?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azlkJdZGKts

Our Kingdom Ministry 1974, Sept, Pg. 8 Question Box,
    • Is it fitting to display the Hebrew or English letters of the Tetragrammaton on automobiles, jewelry and other items?

……..”Furthermore, we do not want to give others the impression that the Tetragrammaton is the symbol of Jehovah’s witnesses as a whole. We have no organizational symbol to identify ourselves but show that we are Jehovah’s Christian witnesses by living in harmony with God’s will.”—John 13:35.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

No corporation associated with Watchtower makes these. Though it is impossible for Watchtower to stop it because of how the technical trademark is displayed with the trademark office. The trademark is a Square background in a very specific color of blue for it to be in a violation of a trademark. And SCOTUS ruled in Moseley v V Catalouge Inc. that a trademark violation is only valid if the two trademarks are so similar that a reasonable person would not be able to differentiate between the two items.

• Room 215
    Room 215

That doesn't mean WT can't voice their disapproval of JWs operating independently of their control.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Watchtower can voice their displeasure of people making. Which they have, they have repeatedly informed witnesses not to make or wear these items with either the watchtower logo or the jw.org logo. But that is all that they can do is to get people to stop using it. As long as they aren't breaking trademark law there is nothing that can be done from a legal standpoint.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

I do apologize. Appartently color is not part of the trademark. The trademark that is specific to jw.org is

Indication of Colors claimed
    Color is not claimed as a feature of the mark.
    Description of Mark
    The mark consists of the stylized letters "JW.ORG" within a square design, where the characters "JW." appear above the "ORG".

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Hey Richard,

I find it hard to believe that there are no Jehovah's Witnesses involved in

this endeavor

Why do you specify "no CORPORATION associated with Watch Tower

makes these" ?

Where do you get your information please?

Cheers,

Thinking about it, I'm guessing you did a search for corporations

That wouldn't show up small enterprise Mom and Pops etc

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I doubt the wt organization officially endorses the lapel pin. It's probably a private enterprise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit