Thank you Richard for your measured and accurate reports,

The brothers have a long history of turning a blind eye to merchandising,

I was shocked many years ago to see Bible Story coloring books being

sold in the back of the KH

But in all fairness they all are very busy monitoring everybody's sexual

activity

Who has the time?

I noted as well that you can make and sell all the crap you want (against

WT written instructions) and you'll be fine, but if you grow a beard that is

a sin worthy of damnation

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The building on the RIP WT pin looks like a cartoon building.

• sparky1
    sparky1

'Get 'em while their hot! Hurry...hurry...hurry......step right up and get yours today. If you can't beat 'em, you might as well join 'em!'

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

The blue button thing is weird. I saw a young woman boarding an airplane once who was wearing the blue jw.org button. Maybe she was traveling for a convention? Who knows. She was dressed in regular clothing just an odd blue button pinned to her blouse.

Another thing I've noticed is that all JWs I've encountered seem to put "jw.org" on their Instagram accounts. I don't know if that's a local thing or a fad generally among witnesses. It's as if they're trying to protect themselves from criticism for using social media. "I'm not using it for worldly purposes. I've clearly identified myself as a JW. My account is to share pictures with other JWs only."

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Some here have highlighted the Caleb pin on a video of one of the GB member's wife. Watchtower does not own a copyright for Caleb and Sofia, nor are they able to claim a copyright for Caleb or Sofia. In order for anyone to claim a copyright the idea must be novel and original, and Caleb and Sofia are neither novel or original. That of a young boy and a young girl who are siblings cannot be claimed to be either.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless
    RO: In order for anyone to claim a copyright the idea must be novel and original, and Caleb and Sofia are neither novel or original.

Hi Richard, you seem to be confusing copyright with patents or trademarks. There is definitely copyright in the Caleb and Sofia images. I don't know who owns that copyright, but someone does.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

The videos in which Caleb and Sofia are in, those are copyrightable, but the actual character of Caleb and Sofia are not copyrightable. To illustrate there is a circuit appeals court case of the Taco Bell Chihuahua, where both the district court and circuit court ruled, that the actual character could not be copyrighted according to 17 U.S.. 301 section 102 and 103, because the actual character is not original or novel.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    richard: To illustrate there is a circuit appeals court case of the Taco Bell Chihuahua, where both the district court and circuit court ruled, that the actual character could not be copyrighted according to 17 U.S.. 301 section 102 and 103, because the actual character is not original or novel.

The creators of the Taco dog character received 30 million for their creation of that character.

http://www.wnj.com/News-and-Events/News/Michigan-Creators-Awarded-30-1-Million-in-Law

• sir82
    sir82

The blue button thing is weird. I saw a young woman boarding an airplane once who was wearing the blue jw.org button. Maybe she was traveling for a convention? Who knows. She was dressed in regular clothing just an odd blue button pinned to her blouse.

There's JW's around here who wear them all the time just for the sake of, well, to look like a loon I guess.

I like looking for patterns. I've found another one:

The probability that a JW is a stark raving nutter is directly proportional to the probability that the JW walks around everywhere with a JW. org pin.

Corollary:

The bigger the pin, the nuttier the nutbag JW.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

While I've noticed them quite a bit over the last year or so, it's certainly not the oddest things some JWs do. I know I have a lapel pin from my company that I sometimes wear when on company business. Not sure this is any different. Although the point made earlier about it being the same as wearing a cross is spot on in my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit