Gaslighting

by mann377 18 Replies latest jw friends

• mann377
    mann377

Ever heard of it? I have but never realized the full meaning. This is the tactic the WTBS uses to control people. Read the link and tell me your thoughts.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/apos-name-tactic-manipulative-people-082734045.html

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Quote :

"When the gaslighter uses this tactic it makes you feel like you don't know who to trust or turn to — and that leads you right back to the gaslighter. And that's exactly what they want: "

Is this an example?

Wt simplified July '17 "Propaganda "

"How can you protect yourself? Be determined to remain in Jehovah’s organization. Continue to be loyal and to support the men who are leading God’s people, even though these men are imperfect. (1 Thessalonians 5:12, 13) Apostates and other deceivers may attack the organization. (Titus 1:10) Even if what they say seems to be true, do not be “quickly shaken from your reason.” (2 Thessalonians 2:2) Follow the advice Paul gave to Timothy: “Continue in the things that you learned,” and remember “from whom you learned them.” (2 Timothy 3:14, 15) Think about all the evidence that proves that you can trust the faithful slave whom Jehovah has used for almost a hundred years now to teach us the truth"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Reading up on 'gaslighting' i can see elements of this in a personal relationship as well. This helps me understand the situation and even feel better about myself.

• Londo111
    Londo111

We never said 1975. That's what some thought they heard. It's there fault for running ahead and making unwise decisions!

• mrmagic
    mrmagic

Oh yea, check out In Sheep's CLothing by George K. Simon, will show you all about gas lighting and the covert-aggression toxic people and orgs like JW use.

• steve2
    steve2

Apostates and other deceivers may attack the organization. (Titus 1:10) Even if what they say seems to be true, do not be “quickly shaken from your reason.” (2 Thessalonians 2:2) Follow the advice Paul gave to Timothy: “Continue in the things that you learned,” and remember “from whom you learned them.” (2 Timothy 3:14, 15) Think about all the evidence that proves that you can trust the faithful slave whom Jehovah has used for almost a hundred years now to teach us the truth"

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Priceless statement No. 1:

"Even if what they [Apostates] say seems to be true, do not be "quickly shaken from your reason." (2 Thessalonians 2:2).

Priceless statement No. 2:

Think about all the evidence that proves that you can trust the faithful slave whom Jehovah has used for almost a hundred years now to teach us the truth.

My comments:

Statement No. 1: Teaches JWs to be suspicious of what apostates say and not to be quickly shaken from their reason. Fair enough: Don't be quickly shaken from your reason - take your time. The evidence against the organization deserves your careful consideration.

Statement No. 2: With a nifty re-writing of its history, JW organization shaves over 40 years off its incriminating history. By its convenient interpretation, Jehovah only gave the seal of approval to the organization in 1919 - but in fact their organization was set up in the mid-1870s. I would expect active JWs to know this rather than parrot the 'less than 100 years' lie. The article then makes a startlingly false claim: "the evidence proves that you can trust the faithful slave."

The evidence in fact is heavily stacked against that claim.

• SAHS
    SAHS

. . . . Or, what I like to call, the “bamboozle syndrome.”

(For other practical examples, see the current Republican Party and their yellow-haired president. . . . . Not to mention any names, of course.)

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

And they are so, so clever to stick random ( in the sense they have nothing to do with their claims) Bible quotes in amongst that toxic rubbish.

I mean ok, no one should be " quickly shaken from ( their) reason," but really what in hells name has that to do with sticking with the WTBTS???

• jaydee
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Thanks jd I'll definitely watch it soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit