Gaslighting

by mann377 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Late Bloomer
    Late Bloomer

@jaydee Thanks for posting! I've only seen the Charles Boyer/Ingrid Bergman version which is excellent. Can't wait to see how this one compares. Kinda of cool that this story is the reason why we have the term "gaslighting" today.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Definitely!

"Did we say 1975? No you got carried away!"

2015: "don't approach the public when Witnessing on the carts."

2017: "brothers you are being too passive when witnessing on the carts!"

Gaslighting

• careful
    careful

SBF,

Could it be that in 2015 they were just beginning the cart work and were fearful about it, so wanted to play a low profile, but two years later, when they had been doing it for two years, they had more confidence and so decided to change their tactics?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The point is that, having changed their mind about being passive, for whatever reason, the WT didn't say "we've changed our mind, brothers" for this or that reason. Instead they acted as if it was the Witnesses who had got it wrong, when actually they were following WT instructions.

That's gaslighting.

"Did you think I said buy milk? Oh that's a shame, actually I told you to get bread."

• just fine
    just fine

I was thinking the same thing about 1975. Saying that people misunderstood and quit jobs and sold homes. When in reality they did exactly as the organization told them to.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Did you think we said /meant this system/world would end in 1914 ? You must be mistaken , what we meant was 1914 would be the beginning of the time of the end at some future date that we will tell you about.....soon

Again and again and again.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

My husband had his mind trained quite well in gaslighting, and lying. Sadly, he hasn't known how NOT to behave/think this way. it is ingrained.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

OK, I just watched the movie from the previous post. Very good. It is 1:24 long, for those who are interested.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Gaslighting", huh? Figures.

Once again, for the newbies, lurkers, and trolls...

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit