New Date for Armageddon?

by NeonMadman 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Millenialism is a disease of spiritual cripples. They hobble toward their mirage. mirage -

1. An optical phenomenon that creates the illusion of water, often with inverted reflections of distant objects, and results from distortion of light by alternate layers of hot and cool air. Also called fata morgana.
    2. Something illusory or insubstantial.

SS

• onacruse
    onacruse

Furher proof: 2005 is 2520 years after the temple was rebuilt (515 BC):

*** bf 380 18 Getting Out of the Midst of Babylon *** Since Darius I did not establish himself in Babylon until defeating the rebel Nebuchadnezzar III in December of 522 and shortly afterward capturing and killing him in Babylon, the year 522 B.C. may be viewed as the accession year of King Darius I. Since the regnal year of a Persian king began in the spring month of Nisan, the first regnal year of King Darius I would begin in the spring of 521 B.C., as presented in Babylonian Chronology 626 B.C. - A.D. 75 (page 28), by Parker and Dubberstein. In that case the sixth regnal year of King Darius I began April 11-12, 516 B.C., and continued to the end of the twelfth lunar month (Adar) of his sixth year, or to the end of March of 515 B.C. On this basis, the rebuilding of the temple was completed by Zerubbabel on March 5-6 of 515 B.C.

"How appropriate it would be for Jehovah to restore true worship to this earth on this Biblically marked year." (In the best imitation I can muster of a talk at a DC).

(Sorry, I couldn't resist putting up a quote from that literary masterpiece called the Babylon book. LOL)

Craig

PS: 10 points to the first person who catches my arithmetic error (made with true JW miscalculation).

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    first person who catches my arithmetic error

I thought Simon said we didn’t have to do any math.

• blackout
    blackout

When will it end???

What I mean is When will they give up????

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Sorry I didn't get back to comment on some of the responses to this thread before this. I was not feeling well yesterday, so after posting it, I left the computer for the day...

Buster:

Did he have any suggestion as to how one could relate the Roman armies to a handful of rabid 20th century cave dwellers that flew some planes into some buildings?

No, although he tried to make it sound as if 9/11 was somehow essentially on a different level from anything that has occurred in history before this. I said that I didn't think it was any more biblically significant than Pearl Harbor or the JFK assassination, for example. I pointed out that there have been wars all throughout history, and that Jesus said we would see wars and rumors of wars, but that the end would not be yet. His only response was, "but now it is serious...isn't it?" My answer? Not necessarily any more serious than, say, WWII.

1. The Millenial Reign runs after the end of the 7th creative day, or
      2. The Millenial Reign is less than 1000 years, or
      3. Adam was created at the end of, but in the 5th creative day, or
      4. A creative day isn't exactly 7000 years, or
      5. ?
      I'm not sure I get what you're saying here. If the creative days are 7000 years in length, and Adam was created in 4026 BC, and Eve an unspecified time after Adam (say 30 years as we are discussing), then it would merely mean that Adam was created 30 years before the end of the sixth "day". The sixth "day" would thus have ended in 3996 BC, and 6000 years from that (allowing for no zero year) would be 2005 AD. So, then, the seventh creative "day" would actually end in 3005 AD, with the millennium theoretically running from 2005-3005 AD. The theology, of course, is completely bogus, but I think the math works ok.

Gopher:

But I don't believe their theology, not even the "Armageddon is coming" part.

Armageddon may be coming, but the Armageddon predicted by the JW's is surely not. If you read the book of Revelation carefully, you get the picture of kings of the earth massing in the middle east to fight Christ at the time of His visible return. He conquers them. End of battle. It is a localized battle, and does not involve the wholesale destruction of everyone on earth except a select few. The JW idea of God zapping people from Heaven with lightning bolts and cosmic rays, and wiping out the whole planet's population, except for the members of one small and very corrupt organization, is as absurd as it is unscriptural.

rocketman:

A jw friend of mine has had the 2005 theory for years and years now.

Really? I never heard it before. Was it based on the same sort of ridiculous chronology that I outlined in the beginning of this thread? If so, maybe the idea is more widespread than I had anticipated.

StinkyPantz:

Remember that John the Baptizer did an Elijahlike work before the "day of Jehovah" struck in 70 C.E. With Elijah's spirit and power, anointed Christians have done a similar God-given work throughout the earth. This clearly proves that the great "day of Jehovah" is near.

There you go. Their own work is advanced as the proof that they have the truth and that the end is near. More and more, it seems to me that that is the bottom line for JW's. "Who else is doing a great worldwide preaching work like we are?" The answer, of course, is that the churches have been proclaiming the Bible's gospel - that of forgiveness of sins and eternal life through Christ - for centuries. The JW work is a drop in the bucket by comparison. The only reason the JW's see so much significance in it is because their leaders constantly trumpet it as proof that they have the truth.

undercover:

So come 2006, ya think this guy will admit he was wrong?
      Yeah, right. Come 2006, he'll probably set up a new screen name for Yahoo Messenger. refiners:
      Some of these dates are close to dates offered up in New Age belief , a date such as 2012, which a lot of new agey expectation revolves around
      Wasn't it the Aztec calendar that ends then? Or was it something Nostradamus said? I forget, but I know I've read about some New Agey type significance to that date. outoftheorg:
      I just got a new calander and it stops on the 31st day of december!!!!
      MY god that must mean that armageddon will come on Jan 1st 2004!!!
      LOL!! Wow, you mean it wasn't only in my area that we used to eagerly pore over every new year's JW calendar to see if it ended early? elsewhere:
      Quotes has done a work-up on the same topic:
      http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/2005.htm
      OK, so I guess this guy isn't a lone crank like I thought he was, after all. He did seem fairly reasonable (except for his initial disingenuousness in trying to pretend that he was not a JW) and argued the straight JW line in other areas. But, apparently the WTS is dropping hints and letting the rank and file run with it where they may. That way, after nothing happens, they will be able to blame it on "speculation" by "some of the brothers" who were "too eager." Swan:
      What an idiot. Why didn't he just tack on the 20 years that occurred between 607 BCE and the real date of the fall of Jerusalem in 587/586 BCE?
      Actually, he was quite insistent about 607 being the correct date for Jerusalem's fall to Nebuchadnezzar. I couldn't recall all the arguments on that one, so I recommended that he read The Gentile Times Reconsidered, and left it at that. JH:
      So since the end will be in 2005, everybody stop going to school, don't look for a better job, don't get married, don't have kids, don't even think of buying a house....
      " Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world’s end." (Kingdom Ministry, May 1974) onacruse:
      Furher proof: 2005 is 2520 years after the temple was rebuilt (515 BC):
      Sorry, you forgot to adjust for the lack of a zero year. 2520 years from 515 BC is 2006. Isn't chronology fun? blackout:

When will it end???
      What I mean is When will they give up????
      Maybe never. Of course, hundreds of thousands have already given up, as witnessed by the large numbers leaving the organization. Perhaps when the "waters of the Euphrates" have dried up enough for them to worry about it - meaning, when their numbers start to plummet like a rock - they'll think about revising some of their Neanderthal teachings (actually, that's an insult to Neanderthals ).
    1. onacruse
      onacruse
      Sorry, you forgot to adjust for the lack of a zero year. 2520 years from 515 BC is 2006.

10 points to the Madman! LOL That pesky little "zero" year bites again.

Actually, having learned from the best, this presents no problem. With a flick of the pen they changed 606 BC to 607 BC, so I'll just do the same and viola! the temple was rebuilt in 516 BC.

Isn't it cool to have that kind of power, to change history?

If we could find a Jubilee cycle to fit 2005, then we'd have a clinched, eh?

Craig

2. RAYZORBLADE
      RAYZORBLADE

Yes, yes, yes...as stated regarding yet 'another' date or possible time frame for which grumpy ol' Jehovah will put his foot down and start another one of his child-like tantrums.

The thing I notice with these folks, is their on-going Personal Armageddon. Destruction of the mind by their tossing away of reasoning and critical thinking (to name just a few). Having the Borg dictate your edicts, it'll be a continual on-going whittling away of ones self-worth.

Armaggeddon, sure it's going to come.....and I am going to Jupiter for supper tonight. Bah!

I call these predictions and doomsday believers, walking personal armageddons. No ambitions in the present life, just stop living your OWN life and WAIT and Wait and wait. Sad.

3. NeonMadman
      NeonMadman
      Isn't it cool to have that kind of power, to change history?

Yeah, Winston Smith thought it was pretty cool, too.

If we could find a Jubilee cycle to fit 2005, then we'd have a clinched, eh?

Well, according to WTS chronology, 1925 and 1975 were Jubilee years, so that would make the next one 2025, but perhaps we could adjust by 30 years for the length of Jesus' life up to his baptism. Then it might work. Or the 30 years that Adam lived without Eve. Yeah, that's the ticket!

4. Gamaliel
      Gamaliel

I didn't have the energy to read this thread in detail, so I'm sorry if someone mentioned it.

There has been a subtle move from someone or some faction at the WTS to put more emphasis on 1935 than on 1914. This is clever for some of the reasons noted above. It also works out well for another reason. It's 2,520 from the ACTUAL destruction of Jerusalem until 1935. All the Bible Student work before 1935 was just preparing a people for his name, holy spirit leading into all truth. Even if the name was adopted in '31, they actually didn't become witnesses until 1935.

The worst scenario for JWs if they adopt this stance is that the 120 year limit of Noah's "wicked generation" would give them until 2055 to come up with a new date.

Gamaliel

5. OICU8it2
      OICU8it2

http://pub76.ezboard.com/flambsmarchfrm20.showMessage?topicID=2.topic I think this thread goes to a talk given by some elder about Islam and the nearness of Armaggedon (sp) and maybe The Society had been looking to the wrong part of Babylon the Great to mark the beginning of the end. I don't know if this will work or not. Nver tried copying an address and pasting it before.

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit