Anyone struggle to find meaning in life?

by Good JW 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

@Good JW

Why do you sit around waiting for someone to assign purpose to your life? Don't you see that the key of this issue is that each person can make a purpose in their own life?

Find something that you are passionate about, a cause, and commit some of your efforts to it. This is what separates us from the animals. The purpose of a life of an animal is at the baseline, to simply extend the specie. But we as humans, can break out of that baseline and assign a greater purpose to our own life.

Yes, you read it, assign purpose to your own life, not wait for an invisible man in the sky to do it for you.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Yeah, going from JW to christian to agnostic was a struggle, but it also was a natural and honest process.

The only meaning I can find is this life. I have no proof of something else.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Happiness is the ultimate currency.

That is a point I learned from a book called "Happier" by Tal Ben-Shahar long before leaving the cult. Most of what we do as human beings is in the pursuit of happiness. Sometimes we miss the mark, but that's what we're driven toward.

So what makes you happy? For me it's being with my wife, challenging myself, helping others to be happier, etc. So I do things to get me closer to those things that bring me happiness. Maybe there's no eternal mark I can leave on the world. Maybe there's no eternity for me. But I can try to be as happy as possible while I'm here, and I'm talking genuine happiness, not escaping. When I'm present and happy then what else could I ask for that's not a fairy tale?

• Good JW
    Good JW

Wow there's some really good comments in here, much more content to ponder. Much appreciated. I especially like the comments from those who've improved since leaving, found purpose in giving, and seeing the love/beauty in life etc.

To answer some questions:

I've been out the org. for around 4 years now. It's been one monumental change after another, including many deaths in family (father etc). During that time my wife and I have almost lost our home. We've fallen out with JW family members too (felt betrayed after all we did for them). Pretty intense stuff (waking up from a cult, being shunned etc). Fortunately I'm still young enough (early thirties) to make something of my life, so there's that.

Some have mentioned about basically "doing stuff" that brings meaning - I'd agree and would generally have given that same advice to others. However in my case the funny thing is that I'm a highly driven person and already feel pretty accomplished (to **some** degree). In the process of starting up a business at the moment (for example). Albeit, I think that this ambitious nature makes me more prone to depression since I'm my own worst enemy - a perfectionist. I believe my main problem at the moment is over-working and imbalance (to the point of having zero social life). Got a one track mind that's great for getting things done, but very easy at becoming obsessive. That includes the study of psychology/philosophy. I get to the point of frustration, and almost feel like I'm living some cruel game and want to reach to the "next level".

One of my future endeavours (once emotions etc have settled) is to put my energy into philanthropic pursuits. Not so much in just donating money to people (think that's kind of "distant"), but more in ways of giving people the tools they need to improve their lives (ranging from cheaper housing to simple farm land in poorer countries etc). Or even some sort of organisation for ex JWs giving psychological help (something for every city) - that's something dear to me. Only problem is that in order to help I need to help myself! I need to have my sh*t together but sometimes fall prey to phases of hopelessness. This thread was more about feedback than completely "propping me up". It's just so nice to get a wider perspective.

Times without a caring relationship seem the most meaningless.

I think this is probably one of the biggest issues. Humans need to feel connected; we could do everything possible in the world (be brilliant at whatever pursuit), but if we feel "alone" it would be futile. You can be around so many people and still feel alone. Yet in a healthy relationship with someone (or people) it's like there's a cover-up hormone that dispels negativity - a switch inside your mind.

• Good JW
    Good JW

I like the comments about finding yourself (now that you're free). It's taken some time for that pompous JW nature to wear off! I actually prided myself in being a pious JW, the type who would always be smack bang in the middle of the org (no double life). I had many JW goals, and came from a strong JW family of 3 generations.

What I find interesting is the facet of "letting my hair down". I find that difficult! People who I meet are pretty cool about it though, and find it fascinating (one lady said I was weird in a good way lol!). I attribute much of it to this whole act I've had to put on my whole life - acting like I had everything together, and was a "holy person". The pretense was so strong that even after leaving I still found myself lying to myself! Simply being who you are (warts 'n' all) feels painful sometimes. Afraid of people seeing your "nakedness". But this comes a lot more naturally to "worldly people".

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

The achievement of personality your real personality according to Jung is a good goal to have. Become more conscious I think is a good way to go, get to know your real self now that you are no longer under the WT's chains on you mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZG8XM15Tmk

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Good,

Good question that people need to think on!

I'm looking for the meaning in life but deep down I know that there is not a universal meaning for everyone of the human species, and that each one has to find his own personal "meaning", I look at it as worthy goal but so far even though I'm 65 I haven't nailed down my meaning for life, but maybe just the goal to finding the meaning of life could offer me a personal meaning for my life? Either way I need to keep searching for it, because I feel that it is a noble task worthy of my attention.

Facing the issue of total inihilation awaits us in death I think can be a good motivator for us living the most we can while we are alive if one can learn to turn off the anxiety or dread of dying and face reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhqc5MD6qV0

• Outahere
    Outahere

I'm raising two kids with another one due next month, too busy anymore to worry too much about life's meanings.

• steve2
    steve2

People who vexate over the purpose and meaning of life are vulnerable to religious charlatans of every conceivable color and hue.

Among their vast number rise up a handful who cleverly turn their need for purpose and meaning into a snare and a racket with which to trap even more people - especially people who are in desperate and ultimately foolish need for religious certainty where none has ever existed.

The chain of delusion grows ever longer the more desperate people are.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Anyone struggle to find meaning in life?

Sorry if you are depressed, and I hope that you find your answers if that's what matters to you. To answer your question, no, I don't struggle with that. I have more important things to do in my life than wasting it looking for its "meaning".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit