Qualifying For A Kingdom Hall Funeral

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

One of the most despicable things I can remember is having the elders determining whether or not you “qualified” for proper funeral services in a Kingdom Hall and if the talk could be given by an elder. People are hurting terribly and the family is then told, even though the deceased was a member of the congregation, they still weren’t good enough to qualify for proper burial services per the congregation!

• zeb
    zeb

If nothing else would see me walk then that one would and I would walk away via the local newspaper. and name the bastards so the paper could go seek an interview.......

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I still want to go to a funeral sometime at a Kingdom Hall but I'm afraid I'm going to get mad when they turn the whole thing into an infomercial. Remember guys, follow the outline and 'do not eulogize the deceased, but give a fine witness to Jehovah.'

• Tobyjones262
    Tobyjones262

Been there bought the tee shirt. Its a load of shit. When my mother passed away we went through it and then came the what was her fav. bible verses. The talk was on recruitment and how much she loved and believed in the cult. It was horrible. My wife's sibling passed away and I could not go all the way into the hall. It was the same old BS about how much they believed in the cult and were looking forward to the new system that is soon to come..

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    One of the most despicable things I can remember is having the elders determining whether or not you “qualified” for proper funeral services in a Kingdom Hall and if the talk could be given by an elder.

Minimus...Can you tell us what the elders would talk about on who would qualify and who wouldn't?

What made a good candidate/bad candidate?

• WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

Its because the Funeral is all about it being a Recruitment Talk.

Nothing to do with comfort.

I bucked that and gave funeral talks for the family, and not a recruitment talk.

The 3 I gave were amazingly well received by the families, friends, and unbelieving family there.
    I had older respected JWs ask me to give theirs when they died.
    I had elders who praised them.

And I had a small group of jealous elders from my area use them against me to try and get me removed, cuz I did not follow the outline to their liking.

Funny enough, the month after the last one I gave, the outline changed to make it easier to do the talk the way I did.

Ironically, this event aided me in Fading immensely!

• new boy
    new boy

Yeah, what do we do with suicides? Can we still love them or not? They are murders you know....

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I made sure that the brother who gave my mothers memorial talk didn't make it sound like a recruitment.

and if he did try to do that, I was on the front row anyway, I would've called him out in front of everybody

• minimus
    minimus

Let’s say a person was a Witness for 30 years. He was never considered outstanding. Maybe he had some scrapes with the elders. He might have been disciplined over those 30 years. Now the elders discuss it and some consciences are bothered because the deceased was not really all that exemplary. Let’s not give the congregation the idea that being this type of Witness is acceptable. So the decision is to not have a talk at the Kingdom Hall. However, if an elder on the body wanted to at least say some words at the gravesite , then that’s something to be considered.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Min ...

If the congregation has some piece of the inheritance (at least 5 figures) then you can have any elder you want to give a talk anywhere you want.

If requested, the elders will wear Mardi Gras masks, feathered hats and form a conga line.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit