SMURFS ?!

by mattnoel 25 Replies latest jw friends

• FlowerPower
    FlowerPower

I never knew a group more parnoid than the JW's. One brother told me that my kids should'nt watch any cartoons involving animals that could talk, because that's what satan did with the serpant. There was a ban on unicorns for having magical powers, I knew one family that would'nt allow their kids to watch the Flintstones because Wilma did not show submission to Fred! Denim skirts were said to be too informal for the meetings, it wasn't roght to take off your suit jacket our in field service not matter how hot it got! Angels, or pictures of angels were forbidden. The reading of fortune cookies tabooed, I once started reading a portion of the paper that had the astrology in it as a joke once and got called into the library for it. Oh man I could go on and on with the restictions and taboo subjects that the society burdened us with, enough to make anyone sick!

• Cassandra Cain
    Cassandra Cain

hmm when I was a kid our father (who wasn't a witness) had us burn anything he thought was demonic because he clamed it was making him do the things he was doing (he always yelled at us and was somtimes violent, he had learned that these things were demonic from the wittnesses and he was a student of the JW's and was on the minsitry school).. and he said that our religon didn't alow things like comics, music, movies, and the toys we had soo it all went bai bai because he claimed they were stumbling him and if we got rid of them he would behave..... also I had started drawing and many of the people at the kingdom hall clamed my pictures were demonic I had drawn a pink kitty cat for this little girl and her mother said it was unnatural for kittens to be pink so she made her throw it away. after that I started to get notes in my book bag from anonomus people saying that I was demonic and I should change what I drew or just stop drawing all together. I would just rip them up cuz It made me really mad. Dose anybody want a Demonic Pink kitty Cat??? I'll Mail you one ^__^

~Cassandra Cain~

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Like Elsewhere, I checked the CD Rom and found no mention of Smurf or Smurfs. This bore out my own recollection that the WT never mentioned them.

But, boy! the rumour mill spread the word even as far as staid old England. I can remember one young Mum, new to the "Truth" explaining in all seriousness how her little girl was unsettled by the presence of a Smurf toy and she had had to get rid of it.

The previous posters recollections of JW paranoia about demons is perfectly true and that was from official literature . Anything strange or disliked "Must be the demons"

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Does Sprite mean demon ? if thats the case them someone needs to tell em to stop drinking the lemonade drink sprite which is so popular in the UK.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

RE: Things like Sprite

A C.O. once told me about an old Bethelite at brooklyn who had a private personal embargo against the little comissary stand there because they sold Red Devil Potted Meat.

• sandy
    sandy
    The other part of it I heard was that this one kid had smurf curtains and one night when the parents came to check on him, the smurfs had climbed down the curtains and were doing some sort of evil dance around the child.

That is so funny! I honestly did laugh out loud! I can actually picture that.

I too heard that the smurfs were bad. Thank goodness for spiritually weak parents! LOL

My siblings and I were only banned from the show for about a week. Wasn't the cartoon on primetime at one point?

I only remember my Dad make us change the T.V. channel one time while watching the Smurfs. I believe it was at night, my parents just came home with a Huge Brand New T.V.!

We were so excited to watch the Smurfs and in the middle of it my "Pops" yelled at us to change the channel. So we turned it to "BWITCHED" LOL, just kidding. But really we watched the smurfs all the time after that.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I remember hearing about them being demonized while growing up. Never heard the stories about the smurf talking or running out of the hall though. I think I recall just being told that they were little demons on tv.

Never got to watch too much tv growing up so I didn't know any better.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Really can you blame Pappa Smurf for yelling and making his way to freedom outside the hall?

• Undecided
    Undecided

Wonder why pigs aren't forbidden? After the demons went into them in Jesus' day it looks like they would be a prime target for the WT.

Ken P.

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Well I was allowed to watch Smurfs for a while until suddenly it became demonic.

He-Man too was on the no-no list due to being the "master of the universe". She-Ra was ok though...go figure.

Scooby Doo was allowed and so was David the Gnome, anyone remember that one?

Luckily Ulysees31 and The Mysterious Cities of Gold weren't on the banned list because they rocked.

Ignored One.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit