Have any JWs ever been on this site for a serious religious debate?

by amiable 32 Replies latest jw friends

• amiable
    amiable

Have there been any takers or requesters of such a thing? Are there other sites where this has happened?

Amiable

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

No people who are biggies in the org ever have come here to debate. But you can click here to see all posts by You Know, an intelligent but very obnoxious and insulting WT defender who doesn't post here any more, some think that he's behind the e-watchman site.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, there have been a few orthodox jw's who spent some time here. One or two put valiant efforts in their arguements. The ones that lasted the longest were the disfunctional ones. They either modified wt doctrine to suite themselves, or were socially handicapped somehow. The former also argued quite well. The latter could only contradict, and they thrived on the attention they recieved.

SS

• MOLHIE-NIGG
    MOLHIE-NIGG

Fine whenever anyone is ready......where would you like to start.....i am deadly serious who's first?

• jgnat
    jgnat

OK, Molhie, only this once. How about: The Faithful and Discreet Slave; parable or prophesy?

• onacruse
    onacruse

amiable, welcome!

I'm fairly new here myself, but even so I can say that there are a good number of current JWs that engage in healthy debate here, and frequently find their opinions of the "truth" altered, even demolished, by what they learn. It's inevitable.

Craig

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, Craig. How did that radio show debate ever turn out? Did you win?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Molhie, I'm sure that plenty of people here would debate with you; myself being one of them. So I'll start.

What to you makes a False Prophet and why doesn't the WTBTS fit into this? Keep in mind,

Deut. 18: 20-22:

“However the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word I have not commanded him to speak…, that prophet must die. And in case you should say in your heart: “How shall we know a word that Jehovah has not spoken?” When the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened of him."

The Watchtower and various other publications from "The Society" stated that "the world" would end many times and yet nothing has happened. Does this mean that they prophesized truly? Here are some examples:

The Watchtower, July 15, 1894

“We see no reason for changing the figures - nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God’s dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble.”

The Watchtower, June 15, 1905

Charts showing 1914 date as Armageddon.

The Time Is at Hand (SS-2), 1907 ed., p. 76-77:

“In this chapter we will present the Bible evidence proving that the full end of the times of the Gentiles, i.e., the full end of their lease of dominion, will be reached in A.D. 1914; and that date will be the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men.”

p. 101

“The ‘battle of the great day of God Almighty’ (Rev. 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth’s present rulership, is already commenced.”

Oops, maybe 1918:

The Watchtower Reprints, October 1, 1917

“The parallel, therefore, would establish definitely that the harvest would close forty years thereafter; to wit, in the spring of A.D. 1918. If this be true, and the evidence is very conclusive that it is true, then we have only a few months in which to labor before the great night settles down when no man can work.”

The Finished Mystery (SS-7), 1917 ed:

“It seems conclusive that the hour of Nominal ’s travail is fixed for the Passover of 1918. (See Rev. 3:14.) That will be 7 years prior to 1925. At that time there is every reason to believe the fallen angels will invade the minds of many of the Nominal Church people, driving them to exceedingly unwise conduct and leading to their destruction at the hands of the enraged masses, who will later be dragged to the same fate.”

The Finished Mystery (SS-7), 1917 ed.:

“Also, in the year 1918, when God destroys the churches wholesale and the church members by millions, it shall be that any that escape shall come to the works of Pastor Russell to learn the meaning of the downfall of ‘Christianity.’”

Or maybe 1925:

Watchtower 1922 September 1:

“The date 1925 is even more distinctly indicated by the Scriptures than 1914.”

Watchtower 1923 April 1:

“Our thought is, that 1925 is definitely settled by the Scriptures. As to Noah, the Christian now has much more upon which to base his faith than Noah had upon which to base his faith in a coming deluge.”

Notice once again what was said in the Awake! article:

"True there have been those in times past who predicted an end to the world even announcing a specific date, yet nothing happened, the end did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing? Missing from such people were God’s truths and the evidence that he was guiding and using them."

Is the Watchtower talking about itself?

• MOLHIE-NIGG
    MOLHIE-NIGG

Stinkypantz: i will keep this short as i have to go, but will respond in greater detail later today. Jws do not claim to be gods prophet in making these asserstions were clearly keeping the flock watchful in the last days. The apostles of jesus were not prophets, yet had some expectations that they expressed about the things that would happen, yet they were not any less at one with christ in that time.

As i say i will respond in greater detail with scriptual evidence to back up these points once i have got some sleep.

• jgnat
    jgnat

*sigh* ignored again....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit