Officials in Remote Northern Canada Thank Jehovah’s Witnesses for Special Bible Education Campaign

by OrphanCrow 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph
    That's reassuring :)
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Petraglyph: So somehow I don't think they will be getting regular visits or shipments if it's costing WT anything. And the JWs themselves won't be able to afford to keep travelling at those prices.
    It did cross my mind to wonder if WT wasn't getting some sort of kick back for this whilst the JWs paid their own way?

I have no doubts that this little enterprise of supplying "literacy aids" to Northern communities will not cost the WTS anything. I, too, am of the opinion that there are "kick backs" of some kind happening. It wouldn't surprise me if government agencies will be picking up the tab for the cost of supply and shipping literature to those remote areas.

Who do you think will be paying for this? : ". . . We are considering ordering a copy of both volumes of the bookQuestions Young People Ask—Answers That Work for each teenager in the school . . . "

Any WT funds that are directed towards "charitable" activities in the North will certainly hold the WTS in good standing on their tax returns. And, all those thousands of dollars that the Org is bragging that certain JWs spent on airfare would be tax exemptable for those individuals who could afford to take the time off work and pay for their own airfare at the exorbitant rates that Northern travel requires.

Those participating in this outreach campaign cared for their own travel expenses including, in some cases, airline tickets that cost several thousands of dollars per person.

It is too bad that those JWs who could afford to travel in the North didn't use their funds in a way that would have provided affordable or free food to those communities that have to pay double (and more) for their groceries than the rest of Canada does.

A food hamper would benefit Northern people way more than religious literature produced by the WTS.

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph
    We are considering ordering a copy...

Yes, I noticed that. Obviously a decision that needs consideration for some reason - the cost maybe?

I wonder too how happy WT would be knowing monies are being spent on transport rather than being sent to them.

I can't see them keeping this up somehow. Unless WT are being reimbursed for all costs. :D

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Petraglyph: I wonder too how happy WT would be knowing monies are being spent on transport rather than being sent to them.

Actually, the money spent by JWs on transportation costs will likely be listed as "donations" to the WTS. The WTS will be able to claim that money (that was "donated" to them) as "charitable activity". Essential for retaining their tax status.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

A food hamper would benefit Northern people way more than religious literature produced by the WTS.

So true.

Lets all hope that this is just an public relations stunt for the Watchtower. So they can tell all the rank and file how their spreading the good news in all the inhabited earth. In my opinion education about the Dubs is most important. I can't stress enough what a big turn off to the Inuit the disfellowship policy would be. Try not talking to or associating with someone while sheltering from an Arctic storm! See what that does to your rank and file!

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    As usual OC, awesome thread. You're a true guardian of the underdog. Well done and you have my deepest respect. Anything I can do to help, please let me know.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    I have been thinking about this and the Watchtower's disfelloshipping policies and how they might play out among Canada's Aboriginal population. A simple google search reveals a lot about the disfellowshipping practice but what would help even more is feed back from questions asked by Witnesses to, Bethel or some other place of authority within the jurisdiction of the guardians of doctrine, about how the policy would work among Aboriginal people in Canada's North. If the organization has any brains at all they would not answer any inquiries. Who knows they might just answer questions carefully asked? The answers to any carefully crafted questions, hypothetical or otherwise, would do great damage the WBTS's image among the Inuit in my opinion.
  • steve2
    steve2

Imagine living in a remote community where most of the inhabitants embrace the JW message and abandon centuries-old traditions and arrangements. . Imagine what would happen to lone individuals in that new JW community who question the "new" organizational influences: Shunned by the few people they have ever known and trusted. Shunning is devastating even in populous regions, so it would be even more devastating in remote regions.

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

Details for:

Aklavik – Moose Kerr School

Their website was not available yesterday.

Note there there is no email address!

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    One of the reasons I hate religion so much is from witnessing first hand what it has done to African natives. People tend to call me a "anti religion fanatic" and I'll admitt that I often tend to react very aggressively when I hear anything that has to do with missionary work. I don't care if those missionaries or their supporters think they have "good intentions" - they don't. And during popular uprisings in Africa when missionaries are targeted I feel zero sympathy for their slaughter. Stay out of their culture and lives and you won't get hurt - period.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit