Officials in Remote Northern Canada Thank Jehovah’s Witnesses for Special Bible Education Campaign

by OrphanCrow 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Petroglyph:It will be so destructive to those communities if the JWs get a foothold there. I feel sick in my stomach thinking about it.

Me too. The Inuit people are an amazingly resilient people to have survived and prospered for so long and under such harsh conditions. They are not stupid people! But I fear that some of them might be especially vulnerable to cults like the dubs. Maybe its just evolution? They will have to learn to deal with the idiots from "Down South".

I personally can't see how the custom of shunning and disfellowshipping will go over big among them. They are a very forgiving people and shunning someone over some stupid belief (not even eating with such a man) won't sit well with them. Coming together and fellowship with one another has been used by them as a survival mechanism in the harsh Arctic environment for a long time. They do have some very strange beliefs and folklore especially among the elderly ones, sort of the same as the idiots down south have.

• Londo111
    Londo111

As Steven Hassan has pointed out, intelligence is no indicator that a person will not fall prey to a cult.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

From the Nunavut Government website, Department of Education:

http://www.gov.nu.ca/education

Vision
    Our vision is to have more well-educated and self-reliant Nunavummiut. We aim for our high school graduation rates to be on par with the rest of Canada and for the majority of Nunavut youth to graduate from high school, college or university, and with the same level of skills, knowledge and abilities as graduates from anywhere in Canada.
    We foresee more Nunavummiut employed as skilled professionals and tradespersons working in the public sector, the mining and fishing industry and the smaller business sectors such as the arts and tourism here in Nunavut.
    We want to have more bilingual Inuktut speaking teachers who will help increase bilingualism in our students. Bilingual education contributes to the preservation, use and promotion of Inuktut and helps to ensure that Nunavummiut can be served in all our official languages.

Mandate
    We have been mandated by the Honourable Paul Quassa Minister of Education to create a healthy, strong, and flourishing Nunavut. Education is the key to that success. We are committed to taking actions that will lead to real and visible progress for Nunavummiut by providing quality education and training opportunities. Our goal is the development of self-reliance and we are working to provide a vibrant learning environment that encourages academic success, guided by Inuit cultures and values.

The JWs are entering into the local educational systems of Northern Canadian communities under the guise of increasing bilingualism. What the Northen communities don't realize is that the aims of the WTS are completely contrary to the mandate of the Nunavut educational system. The JWs present themselves as an "educational" institution yet I would doubt that the communities are aware of the anti-education stance that is encouraged by the WTS.

Contact page for the Nunavut government for anyone who would like to voice their concerns about this critical issue:

http://www.gov.nu.ca/contact-us

Maybe a letter writing campaign, including a link to the JW published article, and supporting evidence that the WTS is against any education outside of their "Bible education", could be valuable.

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

Contact information so far:

Northwest Territories Communities

Nunavut Communities

Note that there are very few email addresses. This suggests that internet access is limited and they have little possibility of researching the reality of the JWs.

• steve2
    steve2

You could be forgiven for thinking that sometimes local authorities are not at all naive about the impact of cults, but selectively "use" them to help better the lot of the locals as in basic reading and writing and supply of other provisions.

Note that there are very few email addresses. This suggests that internet access is limited and they have little possibility of researching the reality of the JWs.

At least they won't be subjected to the happified stated of jw.org broadcasting.

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph
    ...sometimes local authorities are not at all naive about the impact of cults, but selectively "use" them to help better the lot of the locals as in basic reading and writing and supply of other provisions.

This is a possibility.

In my research I came across this page:

26 things that are totally normal in Nunavut

in particular look at 5, 6, 7, 18 and 20.

So somehow I don't think they will be getting regular visits or shipments if it's costing WT anything. And the JWs themselves won't be able to afford to keep travelling at those prices.

It did cross my mind to wonder if WT wasn't getting some sort of kick back for this whilst the JWs paid their own way?

At least they won't be subjected to the happified stated of jw.org broadcasting.

Every cloud... ;)

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Petraglyph internet access is limited and very expensive in a lot of those areas but it is improving all the time. believe me, there is nothing better than sitting nice warm and comfortable at the keys of a good internet connection through the long Arctic night.
  • Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

@truthseeker100 do you have local knowledge?

I would imagine in those remote and isolated communities either they would be all in, or none in, with no real in-between. I guess that if someone has internet access it will only take one to do some research and their findings would spread like wildfire through their community.

I hope so.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

their findings would spread like wildfire through their community.

Yes words, rumours and innuendo spread like wildfire.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    I don't have knowledge of the particular community mentioned in the article but the whole North Arctic region is a huge area with hardly anyone living in it so word spreads very quickly. When I get chance later I might tell a couple of stories about it just to illustrate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit