Officials in Remote Northern Canada Thank Jehovah’s Witnesses for Special Bible Education Campaign

by OrphanCrow 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

This article was published by the WTS on their website.

I find this JW practice of targeting vulnerable populations to be so disturbing. The last thing that Canadian Aboriginal communities need is yet another institution that victimizes their members.

http://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/canada/inuit-bible-education-northern-canada/

Officials in Remote Northern Canada Thank Jehovah’s Witnesses for Special Bible Education Campaign

TORONTO—About 150 Jehovah’s Witnesses participated in a special Bible education campaign, organized by the branch office of the Witnesses in Canada, in September and October of 2014. Arrangements were made to visit 35 remote communities throughout the country.
    The Witnesses were organized into groups and assigned to visit towns and villages that extended from Aklavik, Northwest Territories, in the west to Kangiqsualujjuaq, Quebec, in the east, a region spanning over 3,300 kilometers ( 2,000 miles). Those participating in this outreach campaign cared for their own travel expenses including, in some cases, airline tickets that cost several thousands of dollars per person.
    Prior to the campaign, the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses approved translation of the video Why Study the Bible? into Inuktitut. This Inuit language is spoken by about 35,000 people in Canada and is recognized as an official language in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories.
    Ms. Velma Illasiak, a school principal in Aklavik, commented about the visit of the Witnesses: “The students really enjoyed the materials that you presented and are thinking about [them] . . . We are considering ordering a copy of both volumes of the book Questions Young People Ask—Answers That Work for each teenager in the school . . . Thank you for your time at our school and in our community.”
    After speaking with the Witnesses and watching the video Why Study the Bible?, Mr. Peter Iyaituk, the mayor of the northern Quebec town of Ivujivik, spent two hours touring the visitors around the community in his vehicle. He also drove them to the airport on the day of their departure and thanked them for their visit.
    Matthieu Rozon, spokesman for Jehovah’s Witnesses in Canada, states: “Jehovah’s Witnesses are happy to offer free Bible education to everyone. Those who participated in this campaign felt it was well worth their time and effort.”
    During the two-month expedition, the Witnesses distributed over 37,000 pieces of literature. Almost 600 individuals requested follow-up visits from the Witnesses to continue their Bible discussions.

I was so disturbed by this report that I have emailed the mayor, Mr. Peter Iyaituk, and expressed my concerns. I included information about the Royal Commission in Australia and also an article about the harmful effects of the JW shunning practices that will damage families and disrupt traditional values of their community.

I hope that Mr. Iyaituk takes the time to read the articles I sent him.

I have not been able to confirm my suspicions...but, I have this niggling thought that the JW campaigns into remote areas, and their translation efforts, are being subsidized or sponsored in some way by government agencies. Or, at the very least, these campaigns are being used for political and/or tax exemption clout. Something just isn't sitting right with me...

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

As I was reading through that I was thinking that he needs to receive an email or two explaining what they are really letting themselves in for

...and then I got to the point where you said you'd emailed them.

Very good.

It occurs to me that there could be great value in being aware of these kind of developments and responding promptly with emails. Nip things in the bud as it were.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I can't help myself. I had to send another email to the mayor, Mr. Iyaituk.

This is part of the (third!) email that I sent:

"I am well aware of the issues that Northern communities face and I believe that it is critical that the Northern communities have a voice in political affairs.
    The Jehovah's Witnesses do not allow their members to be involved in any sort of local or other type of governance, even prohibiting their members from voting in elections or serving their country in the military.
    This JW practice, of isolating communities from the electoral practice that our country grants as a right to all citizens, is NOT one that will serve your community well. In fact, long term exposure to this religion will only serve to further isolate your community and sever your population from critical government decisions that have an impact on Northern issues."
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

This article was published by the WTS on their website.

I find this JW practice of targeting vulnerable populations to be so disturbing. The last thing that Canadian Aboriginal communities need is yet another institution that victimizes their members.

I agree 100% with that statement. I removed free literature from the library in Iqaluit and checked out a JW truth book never to return. I am not one that's into burning books but in this case I might make an exception. I think the Inuit people are especially prone to a cult like the JW's. It's it long cold dark winter night throughout Canada's far North and it can drive a person crazy looking for relief I would hate to see any of those people poisoned by any new light from the Watchtower. I will be sure to send him an email too!

• galaxie
    galaxie
    The human condition of vulnerability has unfortunately given the jws access to most of their adherants... they are masters at the art of comforting deception. I hope your e mails have the desired outcome before anyone else is duped by this organisation of charlatans .
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    On second thought, I am in a bit of a quandary(got to love that British spelling) about what to do about this? The more attention and emails they get from "Down South" the more chance they might feel a little flattered. The Inuit Elders are to a large degree just like our politicians. They like attention and the perceived money it might bring.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm guessing that a significant part of the WTS 'outreach program' probably 'educated' these Inuit people about the crappiness of the Catholic church.

What the WT doubtless didn't say was its views on certain aspects of Inuit culture and belief. If pressed on the issue, the WTS would probably also admit that it views shamanistic beliefs such as totem poles, etc. as crappy, too.

The WT doesn't genuinely care about any issues the Inuit might have - it's just looking for new members, recruited from vulnerable people.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    truthseeker: On second thought, I am in a bit of a quandary(got to love that British spelling) about what to do about this? The more attention and emails they get from "Down South" the more chance they might feel a little flattered. The Inuit Elders are to a large degree just like our politicians. They like attention and the perceived money it might bring.

You have a valid point, Truthseeker.

This is an issue that has disturbed me for quite some time and I have considered what would be the best course of action and I am still thinking about it.

The issues that I think have the biggest negative impact on isolated (and not so isolated) Aboriginal communities in Canada are: 1) child abuse; 2) shunning; 3) the destruction of traditional practices; 4) the suppression of political involvement.

I think that the issue that needs to be emphasized the most with the Aboriginal leaders and communities is the JW prohibition of political activities. Government policy making is critical to the healing and advancement of these communities that have already been damaged so much by past government colonial practices and the Aboriginal leaders are well aware of the need to be actively involved in the political structure of our country.

Some research into the Aboriginal organizations that are concerned with the preservation of their culture would be a good place to start a raising awareness campaign about the harmful effects of yet another institution, this time the WTS, that exploits Aboriginal people for financial gain and political positioning.

I will work on this and see what I can come up with.

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

Just reading the release on the jw.org website and the officials mentioned relate to just one community. They have visited 35 communities in the Northern Territories.

The word 'predatory' comes to mind.

And the issues you raise:

1. child abuse
    2. shunning
    3. the destruction of traditional practices
    4. the suppression of political involvement

It will be so destructive to those communities if the JWs get a foothold there. I feel sick in my stomach thinking about it.

• steve2
    steve2

Cults milk the goodwill of those who do not have the benefit of alternative sources of information and gain a foothold by proving "education" (read: indoctrination).

It is a form of what the early Christian missionaries did when they accompanied the colonialists in the "name" of promoting Christianity. They taught indigenous peoples how to write and read and gave Christianity a foothold in the process.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit