Bad Doors in the field service

by JH 28 Replies latest jw friends

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

huh where do I start,

My sister and a female friend (aged 40) called on a door, and me and a friend where on another door and the guy come out of their door (twice the size of me) looked over their heads and tried pick a fight with me, I had to go over to him and try and calm him down !

On field service whilst visiting a friend in Essex and a car went past with supersoakers, us on the recieving end

My Design Tech teacher (who was a born again) bringing in an obviously forged letter from the society (now I would love to say it was real, but it was obvious) asking the born agains to keep their theory quiet as they were in fact correct !

Being asked in (to our excitement) then asked for out chairmans address so that he can write and formally complain about us calling

and the list goes on...............

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Well, my worst door was one of my first.. an older drunk idiot started screaming irrationally and scared the living crap outta my son .... it was horrible....

In nearly 10 years of door to door, even with ministers and such... no one ever argued with the bible... I'd make it so we just discussed the scriptures at hand ... lots of debate about what they meant mind you... but even the preachers didn't get out their bibles... it's kinda weird when you think about it...

One of my funniest doors was when a fella came to the door completely naked ... Yes, it really happened to me... and another sister... I guess we interrupted him. I was nonplussed and just continued my shpeel looking him straight in the eyes....(notice the plural at the end of eyes.. thanks..) the other sister with me couldn't even speak.... lmao... it was pretty funny.. he took the tract.. and I wrote him up as a return visit... hahahahahahahah! He was pretty nice lookin too....

Inq

• JH
    JH
    One of my funniest doors was when a fella came to the door completely naked

Wouldn't it be nice if he came to the hall for his first meeting also naked.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi JH,How about a whole territory that the friends would not go into? How about a whole territory that the Society gave special instructions on how to work it,and when not to work it.

Hasidim territory!The Hasidics don't take lightly proselytizing in their community.What have you experienced,or know of anyone who has experienced the disapproval of the Hasidics when trying to work their territory?

I am in no way trying to pigeon-hole the behavior of all Hadsidims.Just asking if anyone has had a bad experience when going into their territory and trying to preach to them.

The Society has given strict rules on how to preach to the Hasidem territory,so ,they must of had some serious concerns for the welfare of those going into that territory.And had some bad reports from the C.O.on the efforts made and resistance shown in this area.

JH what do you know about this and have you experienced for yourself what it is like to witness in their community.That's a whole lot of door.

Blueblades

• JH
    JH

Blueblades,

I never heard about the Hasidim territory. I never heard of the word Hasidim. I will have to make a search on google to know what or who they are.

Where I live, it's not multicultural. In my region, 99% are catholic, and we had the same presentation for just about everyone.

When I started going in the field service about 15 years ago, there weren't many doors not to do. I haven't went door to door in about 5 years, so I can't say how it is today, but 5 years ago, 1 house out of 5 were to avoid. PAS DE TEMOINS DE JEHOVAH written on their doors.

Many were verbally violent when I was active.

• Eppie
    Eppie

How about being a teenager and calling at a door of one of your friends? Or just another teen for that matter. I hated it! Also once I was with an elder from door to door and I really didn't want to say anything (i was about 13 and really didn't want to go from door to door anymore), but after a few doors he said: 'whatever happens it's your door, i'll keep my mouth shut and won't say a thing'. Then we went to the door and I didn't say a thing and it was silent for a minute. Then i started and handed him a brochure. I then said thank you very much for the attention and wanted to walk away, then the elder said 'hey Simon how are you, haven't seen you in awhile!' The person was just an acquintance of the elder! I was soooo humiliated!

Come to think of it I don't really think anyone likes to go from door to door, just the fact that they are doing it for Jehovah keeps them doing it. Most of all in my congregation it was some kind of competition to show how good you were.

Eppie

• blondie
    blondie

The only bad "doors" were ones where nobody proved to be home and a dog was loose on the property. I have been cornered by dogs and geese. The geese were the worst. I always cajoled the grumpy people into talking and sharing their thoughts. I just listened and commended them when I could. I stopped going in field service when I realized I agreed more with the people behind the doors than the ones with me. I always enjoy a discussion.

Blondie(I saw the light)

• acsot
    acsot

Ah yes, geese! I worked rural territory once, got out of the car with my partner, walked to the door, rang, waited, then heard the geese! They had been down near the barn and came charging at us. Nasty things they are - better than guard dogs! The brother driving the car had to maneuver it between the geese and us and tried scaring them off by honking the horn; the geese, however, honked louder than the car! We did manage to get into the car without injury but it was scary!

Seventh Day Adventists were always up for a good Bible verse tug-of-war, noboby giving way too much. Ah yes, such Christian attitudes! "No, it says this." "No, it says that." "No it doesn't, it says this... "

As for other religious groups, no, not too many bothered getting out their Bibles. Glad we didn't run into Yerusalim back then.

• Deleted
    Deleted

The worst (and almost funniest) was when my wife, a pioneer, took a door out in rural Oregon (I was in the car, watching, stupefied)when a pet wolf sneaked up behind Jill, jumped and landed both paws on her shoulders. I wish I had had a camera.

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Hey JH

Well, it wouldv'e given the sisters something real to talk about for a while ... a good long while ... hahahaha

He woulda been married in short order for sure! lmao

Hey deleted.... OMG! The saying "I think I've shat meself" comes to mind... lmao! She's lucky she didn't have a heart attack!

Inq

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit