I remember when floppys were 8 inches

by hippikon 23 Replies latest social humour

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

Only goes to prove...."it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it." haha

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Ummm... well, I kinda built my own computer - around 1976 - from a kit.

It was a SwTPC computer. I couldn't afford the whole kit - which was how computers were sold as - in the beginning - and so just purchased the bare PCBs, ordered the components from distributors, and soldered the parts onto the boards.

I still have it in storage. It initially had a whopping 2k of static RAM, which I expanded to 4k later. (2k = two thousand bytes)

I used Tom Pitman's Tiny BASIC which was 2k, that I loaded into the computer via a teletype - and paper tape. It took the program about 5 to 10 minutes to load. (I would usually eat my supper while it loaded.)

I could then use the keyboard on the teletype to type my own programs. <grin>

Those were the days.

I also built my own modem - an acoustic one - that could do 110 baud over the telephone lines.

No one understood what I was doing in those days... all pretty much said that they could use a pencil and paper to do what I was doing with my computer. <shrug>

I just wish that I had pursued the computer industry a bit more in those days. After all... I'm as old as Bill Gates... and he went a bit further.

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. Things don't change much. People still don't understand what I'm doing. <sigh>

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

I've owned:

Trs-80:Vic20:C64:C128D:Amiga 2000HD:Dec/Digital PDP-11/23 Plus (This thing has 8 inch floppy's and 10 Megabyte Platters):PC's Various things.

Learned to program in Dec Basic and Pascal, on a PDP-11/43 in high school.

My latest toy however is my new Sony DVD Burner (DVD Everything DVD-R,DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW) DVD-R being the most compatable with stand alone consumer DVD players. I bought this on Sunday, and already burned my frist video DVD of my Nephew's birth, turned out wonderful, and works great on my finicky Toshiba DVD player, this player has problems with certain brands of CDR's, when I make my own music CD's. So now I can archive all of my Silent Lambs videos on DVD, instead of Digital Tape. :D

BTW anyone else out there play on X-Box Live? Any X-box gamers? Or online PS2 Games? Maybe I'll start another thread for this.

• nativenyr23
    nativenyr23

OMG i haven't heard so many people say TRS-80 in YEARS!!!!! (i was very VERY young of course - but it was on this fine (cough, cough) Tandy machine that I learned to COMPUTE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit